Clear All
  • joseph miller
    • Jul 2010

gear box issue

Hello all,
    this is a new post on my old thread.
    had a problem with my gear box that i think was
    fixed tonight. Mo was good enough to come over and set
    the forward and reverse. seems to work well tonight but will run under load for
    30-45 min. tomorow and see what happens.

thanks to all for input and i will keep you posted.

P.S. Mo and I had a good laugh about my running him aground about 20 years ago on the Pepeswick Inlet Race.

take care

Joe
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Kudos

Strange, I didn't see that there was an offering of Rum or the beer of choice.
    Nicely done Mo!
    Joe, it's also very nice to see the offering up of KUDOS Mo.!

I seriously doubt you'll have any trouble if he did any adjusting!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
      Strange, I didn't see that there was an offering of Rum or the beer of choice.
      Nicely done Mo!
      Joe, it's also very nice to see the offering up of KUDOS Mo.!

I seriously doubt you'll have any trouble if he did any adjusting!

Dave Neptune
      Well, as it happens, we did suck back a couple of beers after. After I did the adjusting it "feels" right...but I just want Joe to take it out and run it to ensure all is good...better to know in the Harbor than at sea.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by joseph miller View Post
        Hello all,
        this is a new post on my old thread.
        had a problem with my gear box that i think was
        fixed tonight. Mo was good enough to come over and set
        the forward and reverse. seems to work well tonight but will run under load for
        30-45 min. tomorow and see what happens.

thanks to all for input and i will keep you posted.

P.S. Mo and I had a good laugh about my running him aground about 20 years ago on the Pepeswick Inlet Race.

take care

Joe
        Petpeswick race happens on a Saturday...Party late into the night following...then head back to Halifax next day. This happened the summer of 2000...I had a C&C 24 and Joe had a 22ft Shark.

The Petpeswick inlet is a "slightly" marked area and most of it is about 200 feet wide with the channel about 30 feet wide in most areas....all mud. We were on the way out and Joe's engine had broken down. I had him in tow and he and his friend were on his boat. His friend is from Petpeswick and of course has local knowledge and we have about 30 feet of line between us.

We are moving along this narrow area of the channel and shouting is heard from Joe's boat. Both are on the cabin top...his buddy says I have to take the buoy on the nose on the Prt side. I say no, it needs to be on the stb....."he has local knowledge"....so I go and take it on the port....promptly run aground in the mud. Neither Joe or his friend were steering Joe's boat (in tow) and there's a scramble as both of them go for the rudder...not quick enough...she hit my stern and prt quarter (no damage)....then it went aground as well.

Of course I say *** dude looking at Mr. Local Navigator....he replies "red bouy on the Prt going out" ... I'm there saying Yes...so why are you yelling and pointing for me to take this green to the Left (port side)...his answer "that buoy is red". I look at Joe and Kevin (my racing buddy) and say "boy, where the fk do you see red there (the bouy is 10 feet away and it is green).

Local Navigator's answer: "awe sorry Mo, I'm color blind" ......."COLOR BLIND!!"...."COLORED BLIND!!...are you %$#ing joking....we were partying all night following the race day before and we were all hung over (at best) ... so the only thing to do was break out some beer and laugh, which we did.

Joe and I laughed about that last night. By the way, my motor pulled us both off and we made it the 20 miles or so back down to Halifax.

Petpeswick race is going ahead again this weekend July 20 and back 21st. Joe might go...think I'll do it as well.
        Last edited by Mo; 07-18-2013, 09:30 AM.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• thatch
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2009

Absolutely hysterical!

Comment

• joseph miller
            • Jul 2010

Pepeswick race

hello all,
            Mo,s recollction is resonably close. we partied our a#* off the night before
            and on the 7 mile drag down the inlet i decided to have a nap. My friend Greg was in control and has spent 45 years on the inlet. he neglected to let me know he was colour blind. we missed the dog lag at the bottom of the inlet.
            As I recall there was a scuff on the backside of the C & C 24. In true Mo fashion all was forgiven.

We had a good old laugh last night on the Tartan as we remembered those days from 20+ years ago.

regarding the adjustments, i ran the a-4 for 45 min. this evening, in gear with cruise throttle, with not so much as a cough on the engine.

also, any Afourians get up this way, there is ALWAYS a cold beer of some kind available.

thanks

Joe

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

So, I take it all is well Joe. Just have a look and see if I put all those grounds back on....pretty sure I did but worth a look. Also double check that I locked up that double nut on the bolt connecting the shifter cable.

I'm pretty sure I did that but double check anyway. OK.
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• thatch
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2009

"Speaking of grounds"

I am considering installing a dedicated ground "buss bar" in a dry area in the engine compartment. Normally, when adding a "ground required" componant, I just look for the closest small screw and tie it in. The other day, while adding another sensor, I found that the closest common ground spot was the throttle cable bracket. Based on what I have seen, this is common practice, but may not be the best choice. Most of the terminals at that junction were beginning to show signs of corrosion and were most likely starting to build resistance. It will mean adding more length to the wiring loom, but I feel that the overall system will be better. Any thoughts?
                Tom

Comment

• Mo
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2007

Thatch, I think that's what I have. There are about 4 bus bars in my stb lazarette against the bulkhead. My reversing gear would be just to the right of that looking forward. Everything is tied into them including fuse panels, lighting and engine wiring. Haven't had any trouble on the bus bars. Also have two under seat at the base of mast (keel stepped) for the mast lights wiring as well. I actually marked on wire and bulkhead which goes where ... when I pull the mast every few years the wiring takes a few minutes to put back.

Joe's boat had 4 wires grounded on his reversing gear cover plate...probably necessary to do it like that because his particular boat has allot less accessible room in and around the engine. Access on the stb side was excellent.
                  Last edited by Mo; 07-19-2013, 08:56 AM.
                  Mo

"Odyssey"
                  1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• edwardc
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by thatch View Post
                    I am considering installing a dedicated ground "buss bar" in a dry area in the engine compartment. ... Any thoughts?
                    Tom
                    I did exactly this about 2 1/2 years ago. Now, there is exactly one wire to the engine block; the heavy black battery ground cable attached near the starter. All other grounds are attached to the buss bar. Sure simplifies troubleshooting!
                    @(^.^)@ Ed
                    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• thatch
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2009

Thank's Ed and Mo. Like many of our comrads, my tinkering began on cars where, when adding an extra light or radio or whatever, you would just find the nearest sheet metal screw and add the ground wire there. I'll soon be adding the new buss and then searching out all of the "oddball" ground connections.
                      Tom

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Jan 2007

Grounds

Tom & Mo, I did mine 2 years ago and it really helped. I have a large #4 ground at the starter and a second #8 on the trans cover and both go to a stud-bar I made out of a nice piece of copper. This leads directly to the batteries and the other 3 panels are connected to it, sort of a main ground if you will. I have three busses for little stuff at all of my panels~~main panel & engine panel on one, my radios and GPS stuff on another and a small one for the extra engine panel inside which powers the head, bilge and accy's. This eliminated a rather large rats nest of "extra wire" and simplified everything. Well worth the effort!. Now each of my 6 battery posts have only one connection.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Mo
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2007

My wiring was done by a professional, not me. Surveyor said he did a great job. Certainly not an expert but I know I do have positive and negative buses. Wires neatly attached to the wooded bulkhead under the cabin sole running parallel to each other... anything that is out of place was my doing.
                          Mo

"Odyssey"
                          1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

Working...
                          X