• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

I think we have it.

Think we have it solved but a run will have to be done tomorrow to confirm. Joe rebuilt the engine last year and it runs like a top. The run he took her on the other day was the longest she has left the dock...about 45 minutes The forward indent was too hard. Small neutral and reverse was very quick.

What I did.
    -disconnect the shifter cable so that I dealt with the gear-box itself without worrying about cable in the equation just yet.
    -as it was really hard to put into forward by hand I backed the nut off and moved the crown gear back one.
    -backed of the reversing gear band nut 1/4

---it took a few little trials to get it right but I think we have it. The shifter system has allot of play but I think we are there. If not the reversing gear will have to be backed up another 1/4 turn...I don't think it will be required.

Tartan 27, Joe did allot of wood- work on her as well...tidy work.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Problem persisted days later and it was determined that the problem was not a gear box / reversing gear issue. The engine was loosing fire and as it missed etc sent vibration through drive train.

Although the reversing gear was in need of adjustment problem thought to be coil / resistor related.
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

coil was the issue.

Just met up with Joe this evening over in Timmins Cove. He put a 3.5 ohm coil and 1.8 resister on the engine...ran for 2 hrs straight without a problem.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Did he happen to measure the voltage before the resistor at cruising RPM? If no, would you mind asking? It would useful to the data set.

Also, is the new coil oil filled or epoxy filled?
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Neil, Joe headed down the shore for a week...left 5am this morning. He spent the night near out club on a mooring near mine (I offered him mine but there were numerous pickings).

....anyway, he did measure the coil...he called Tom at Indigo with the numbers and Tom told him to put a 3.5 resisted coil and 2 ohm resistor. Closest Joe could find for a resistor was 1.8 but seems to be working fine.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

Comment

• joseph miller
              • Jul 2010

coil

hello All,

got back from Mahone Bay last evening, aprox. 40 miles each way.
              the engine worked like a top without so much as a miss.
              coming back yesterday in fog. had about 1.5 mile vis until i went in behind
              Sambro Island where it droped to 200 yrds, i think the fog is made right there.
              wind was light all day until 3pm so i moter sailed the whole way.
              everything engine wise worked like a top.
              the coil is an off the shelf 3.5 oil filled with a 1.8 block resister from UAP.
              i run with no t-stat and bypass set at 1/2 open. I went this way after the rebuild as i could not get a handle on engine temp. Since this setup temp
              dosn't go above 135/140. The coil was change at the engine rebuild, it was a new one that came with the boat when i bought her.
              Could the high engine temp. i had after rebuild have come from this coil.
              At back of alt. voltage is 14.5 ish

joe

Comment

Working...
              X