X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Indy
    • Oct 2014

Smaller Filter - opinions

I want to relocate my fuel filter, which the PO mounted in the cabin. The trouble is the only places it will fit would require a smaller filter, so I found that Racor has a smaller model, but the specs seem fine. 30gph, 10 micron, metal bowl available. I'd like to use the one Moyer has, but this one is about 1/2 the height and I cannot figure out whether the spin on cannisters are interchangeable.

Racor RAC-120R-01/02

Any insights on this filter or the specs would be appreciated.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Indy, yes it is a spin on filter. The filter spins onto the filter body and the "bowl" screws onto the bottom of the filter. It is a good unit.

A smaller one may be out there and you don't need any where near a 30GPH flow rating. A 30GPH flow will feed over 400HP. There may be another style or a small "tractor" filter assembly.

For reference load duty motors of the A-4's vintage use a figure of "2HP per pound of fuel per hour" or about 1 gallon per hour equals around 14 HP.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

30 GPH is about 28.5 over what is needed, so that will work fine. I got onto the cheap $10 Sierra type spin on filters some time ago after I realized water separation won't work with ethanol-gas, the Racors are a pain to replace, they cost more, and I had them start rusting
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• scratchee
        • Feb 2020

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
        ...I realized water separation won't work with ethanol-gas...
        Wouldn't a water separator still help you if you had significant water in the fuel, like from a leaky filler cap, if the engine is run before the water is absorbed into the fuel? I'm also looking for a new filter (I have an ancient bronze Perko), and have been assuming that I should get one with a water separator.

As to the original question, after some looking around it appears that Moyer is selling the 320R-RAC, which is a 60 GPH filter, while the 120R-RAC you found is a 30 GPF filter. The number you see in the Moyer picture, 3228UL, is the part number for the replaceable filter element. The filter you're looking at takes a 3240 replacement element. Both are 10 micron filters.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by scratchee View Post
          Wouldn't a water separator still help you if you had significant water in the fuel, like from a leaky filler cap, if the engine is run before the water is absorbed into the fuel?
          My experience from last year addresses your question directly:
          Last edited by ndutton; 11-23-2020, 11:26 PM.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by scratchee View Post
            Wouldn't a water separator still help you if you had significant water in the fuel, like from a leaky filler cap, if the engine is run before the water is absorbed into the fuel? I'm also looking for a new filter (I have an ancient bronze Perko), and have been assuming that I should get one with a water separator.

As to the original question, after some looking around it appears that Moyer is selling the 320R-RAC, which is a 60 GPH filter, while the 120R-RAC you found is a 30 GPF filter. The number you see in the Moyer picture, 3228UL, is the part number for the replaceable filter element. The filter you're looking at takes a 3240 replacement element. Both are 10 micron filters.
            Not really. Water in ethanol-gas creates a nasty goo when the ethanol and water separate out from the gas. I had this happen due to a bad o-ring on my fill and in the dinghy too when the tank turned over in a bad rainstorm. The dinghy engine wouldn't run because the cheap filter on the dinghy totally blocked the ethanol-goo from passing and the expensive Racor was unable to remove the water from the nasty goo and passed the ethanol-water mix on to the carb. Two dead engines in one day
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• Indy
              • Oct 2014

I use non-ethanol fuel, FYI.

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Well then the water separator will still work
                I am too lazy and cheap to drive to the airport and get ethanol-free fuel for the boat, but I do grab a gallon of 100 octane for the lawn mower so the dang thing will start all year.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                X