X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dromo
    • Mar 2008

stainless steel exhaust

I read some threads on making a new exhaust by piecing together galvanized iron pipe and elbows etc.. Seems like a lot of work
    Couldn't I just take the old section of exhaust pipe, to a muffler/exhaust shop and get them to bend me up a one-piece section , out of stainless steel exhaust pipe, or will this not work in a marine application?
    Any comments,helpful advice,or other suggestions most welcome
    Last edited by Dromo; 04-18-2009, 06:41 PM.
  • msauntry
    • May 2008

Only part they might have trouble with is the flange mounting, but if they have a solution then I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be an option.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Exhaust pipe

Dromo, the SS exhaust sounds good but maybe expensive and possibly difficult to get int the same holes as the radii of the bends will be drastically different. The flanges are a standard and they should have no problem matching it up with the A-4. You can also purchase the same pipe fittings in stainless and accomplish the same thing and the same curves to make instalation a lot easier. I was going to do same a few "exhausts ago" and decided against it because of the cost. I get between 6-8 years out of mine before the back preassure creates a noticable drop in performance.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

$$$

dromo...it was a bit of an adventure!!! . My total cost (obviously labor not included) was about $60 (not including Moyer's flange, however I recommend it)
        - The most expensive was the heat wrap, about $40 of that cost!

I would highly recommend the flange as it eliminates a few extra galvanized parts. My old flange was likely an original part and was pretty weak. It was basically the flange with a short pipe nipple welded (male thread) on it. The "street el" (bottom left most part) in the second picture screws right into the Moyer flange.

I found everything at my local Lowe's, once I knew what I was looking for. As you'll see below, I had some black pipe mixed in I bought from another hardware store..that got me rolling, then I was on the hunt for equivalent galvanized.
        Sorry for the bad initial picture, I had some old hoses & tape hanging around in the engine 'room'.

What I personally did is this:

Figured out which elbows & fittings I needed at the ends. Then I bought a couple different lengths of pipe nipples for testing. I wanted to get my loop as tall as I could without hitting the cabinet above. When I was done I simply returned the unused parts. The heat wrap has been removed in the first pic. I used No. 2 Permatex to seal the threads during final assembly, although Don's "Aviation" brand would likely work just as well..they have similar performance characteristics , except the No. 2 is in a tube and a little less 'runny'.

The bronze mixer piece was re-used..I just cleaned it up on a wire wheel..it is similar to the one Don Moyer sells. I was able to get just a little more clearance between the muffler & bronze mixer after final assembly, so that the piece of rubber hose is the same length as original, about 6" long.

Here is a before, in the middle & after picture. The fourth pic is the engine in almost running order, however, the exhaust is complete. I think in this pic I was still waiting for a couple of hose barbs to show up so I could upsize my intake hose to 5/8", and I have not installed the cabinet or a permanent anti-siphon loop yet, & nevermind things like the loose alternator belt
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sastanley; 07-25-2016, 10:36 AM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X