• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seapadrik
    • Jun 2009

Update on rebuild and a few questions

Hey,

For those of you that have been following my A4 rebuild, here is the update.
    It is at the machine shop and the guy has done most of the work already. Cleaning, Milling the head, remove a rusty bolt, etc..

He says the crank shaft needs to be ground and buffed. At this point he will try to do it so the bearings are at 10 ,but I need to make sure that Moyer Marine has the parts for 20.

I looked at the online catalog and am assuming the bearings I need are the "Main" bearings that are listed for $200, is that correct ? There seemed to be some other bearings but I think those are not the right ones. So my guess is crankshaft bearings and Main bearings are one and the same.

Its looking like I will get it back this week and can begin the (hopefully) fun part of the rebuild.

Also, he stated that the cylinders have no damage or wear at all. He advised that he could just hone each cylinder and re-use the existing pistons, with some new rings.

Thanks
  • domenic
    • Jul 2010

Just a suggestion; try to do as much on the engine work yourself as you can. If you are at sea, and need engine work...who will do it? The A4 is a simple engine, and easy to repair. Moyer has all the needed parts. The Moyer manual is a must for A4 owners.

Domenic

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

The main bearings are surely $200 for the set of .020" undersize (Product No. - OVCC_04_105.20).
      These do not include the connecting rod bearings(Product No. - OVCC_05_108.0). They are an additional $137.

Ask your guy if he intends to grind the rod bearing journals as well. Sometimes they only need to grind the mains.

I painted up the photo from the MMI web catolouge to show the different bearing journals; blue for mains, pink for rods.
      Apologies to MMI

Russ
      Attached Files
      Last edited by lat 64; 09-09-2010, 01:17 AM.
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• seapadrik
        • Jun 2009

Alright. Thanks Russ for the picture that definitely clears that up. I will ask him about the rod bearings as well.

Also to Domenic, I agree with you to take on as much of this rebuild as possible.
        The machine shop work was only thing I couldn't do myself, like grinding that crankshaft, etc.. When I get it back, I am looking forward to assembling every piece of this engine.

I will keep everyone posted and should have some pics shortly.

Thanks

Comment

• lat 64
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2008

Some archives

Sea pad,
          There have been many discussions regarding the orientation of the pistons when rebuilding.
          It is easy to get them in the wrong way. Follow the directions in the Moyer engine manual.
          Here's a couple of links to the chronicles of my engine and some others that might be of some help.

Russ
          Last edited by lat 64; 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM.
          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
          X