• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailorsb
    Frequent Contributor
    • Oct 2023

Originally posted by stranded-sailor View Post
    Ok. All good information. After tearing into this this afternoon I think its just time for a full tune up. Everything is wore some and plugs are obviously old. Coil reads good and getting power but no spark. Problem is I was hoping to leave here tomorrow night to get to a spot where I have better support. Only get the odd 24h with under 25kn winds and tomorrow nights one of them. If I'm understanding correctly this coil will work just not last as long as the right one? Maybe local parts store has cap and rotor button? And they should have plugs no problem.
    I’m new to this forum, but in the photo it looks like there may be a cut in the insulation on one of the wires coming from the (+) terminal of your coil. If the conductor is exposed, it could short to ground.

Steve
    Port Huron, MI

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

The easy way is to hook it up and see if it works. Actually there is no other way to test the Pertronix that I know of.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• W2ET
        Former Admin
        • Oct 2008

Steve (Sailorsb) pointed this out.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by W2ET; 11-09-2023, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• stranded-sailor
          • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Sailorsb View Post
          I’m new to this forum, but in the photo it looks like there may be a cut in the insulation on one of the wires coming from the (+) terminal of your coil. If the conductor is exposed, it could short to ground.

Steve
          Port Huron, MI
          Your correct there is. Has since been repaired. Thank you

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

s-s - it's OK dude, that is how we all learn. You can use a 1.5Ω coil provided you have sufficient external resistance in front of it. I experimented quite a bit with different external ceramic resistors until I was satisfied. the ignition is likely fine, it is the coil that will get fried, but they usually come back for a while. The way you tell if that coil is fried is run the motor and if it goes 45-90 minutes and shuts off, the coil is toast. then it will cool down and run for a little while again.

edit - oops, i missed the entire 2nd page.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• stranded-sailor
              • Nov 2023

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
              s-s - it's OK dude, that is how we all learn. You can use a 1.5Ω coil provided you have sufficient external resistance in front of it. I experimented quite a bit with different external ceramic resistors until I was satisfied. the ignition is likely fine, it is the coil that will get fried, but they usually come back for a while. The way you tell if that coil is fried is run the motor and if it goes 45-90 minutes and shuts off, the coil is toast. then it will cool down and run for a little while again.

edit - oops, i missed the entire 2nd page.
              Yes, running 30 to 40 minutes was the issue at first. New coil which apparently is incorrect but I'm going to get a resistor for it. The last shutdown(which was after the new coil) I believe is a tune up problem, or atleast thats what I'm going to do next to eliminate it as the plugs and rotor button are very bad looking. Hoping that solves the issue, if not atleast its out of the way. Tks for your reply

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

The rotor and cap should be replaced at the same time. While you are under the cap be sure and give the C-advance a twist to be sure it moves freely and returns smoothly too.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• stranded-sailor
                  • Nov 2023

I was just looking at the moyer site and see that there are two distributor caps which look identical. I do not have points, one cap says for ignitor systems. Would this be the one I want? Also my engine is a '72. Would this be a late model?

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

I used the points cap that I had on hand, and used a sharp knife to open the cutout at the base a bit to handle the extra wire & rubber grommet which was absent in the points system. The early model Prestolites were smaller in diameter and I think had clips, whereas the late models are larger and screw down caps. As Dave said, make sure you have some light oil while you are in there and made sure the spring loaded advance works..The distributor shaft is actually two, one rotates inside the other to do the timing advance. You should be able to twist the shaft about 17 degrees (inner I think, been a couple years) and it should spring back with force and pop right back into place. It is easy to forget maintenance on this piece with EI because you aren't pulling the cap regularly to fool with points. If you can't get a fresh cap & rotor right away, some emery cloth or sand paper can clean up the contacts until you can replace cap & rotor.
                    -Shawn
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

• Borrowed Time
                      • Nov 2011

Electronic Ignition woes

I had this same issue when I converted my A4 from points/condenser to a Pertronics Electronic Ignition like that shown in OP's picture. I had intermittent shut downs happening and it about drove me crazy using coils from here and there. I finally broke down and bought Don Moyer's coil. It was quite a bit more expensive than what you will get from an auto parts store, but my random shut down problems ended the day I installed Don's coil. Oh and I have no resistor in-line, it is not needed as long as charging voltage is reasonable. It simple and it works beautifully on my A4. As for charging, I am using the original motorola alternator with a newer external voltage regulator after my old one died. I now charge below 14 volts and the system seems to be working great.
                      Chris
                      Borrowed Time
                      1974 Newport 27 with Original "Atomic" Power
                      Los Angeles, California

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Chris, It would be a couple interesting data points to know when running:

(+) voltage at the coil (be sure to use engine to ground, not (-) post)
                        (+) voltage at the alternator post
                        (+) voltage at the battery post

Many of us went thru this exercise way back on the forum, and had interesting results. Lots of our old boats see significant voltage loss if we have a cockpit mounted ammeter. I ended up removing mine and went straight to the batteries from my alternator and then adjusted my charge voltage to my personal preference (running an m5-197 adjustable regulator on my OEM Motorola)

This will also provide some fresh data for stranded-sailor to digest.
                        -Shawn
                        sigpic

Comment

• Borrowed Time
                          • Nov 2011

Electronic Ignition Woes

I'll check voltages this weekend and get back to you all.
                          Chris
                          Borrowed Time
                          Los Angeles, California

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Pertinent information from the manufacturer of the electronic ignition is found here.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Borrowed Time
                              • Nov 2011

Electronic Ignition woes

Evening all,

As requested by Shawn, I checked voltage readings at the requested points and all came in around 13.4 volts. I don't have an ammeter. I dumped it in favor of a simple voltage gauge in the cockpit panel.
                              As per advice on this board years ago, ran a secondary 6 or 8 gauge jumper line (w a 50 amp fuse) from the alternator output lug to the nearby positive lug on the starter giving the alternator a direct path to the batteries. Somewhere along the way I replaced the voltage regulator with one much like your original that also has this tiny adjusting pot inside the shell. I set it at 13.4 and the system seems to be happy at that voltage.
                              Chris
                              Borrowed Time
                              Los Angeles, California

Comment

Working...
                              X