X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

In general terms, this occurs with air dried paints (1 part) where the surface dries quickly but the underlying paint takes much longer because it is sealed off from air by the surface skin. Heavy coats are an aggravating factor. Wrinkling is prevented by applying several thin coats with sufficient drying time between. Once wrinkling has occurred, the entire finish must be removed and started over. Trying to remedy what is already there will be an exercise in futility.

Paint choice can help. Two part (catalyzed) paints dry chemically through the entire thickness. Cobalt drier is an additive that acts as a drying accelerant in air dried oil based paints (1 part) but should not be considered an alternative to thin coats.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Surcouf
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2018

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      In general terms, this occurs with air dried paints (1 part) where the surface dries quickly but the underlying paint takes much longer because it is sealed off from air by the surface skin. Heavy coats are an aggravating factor. Wrinkling is prevented by applying several thin coats with sufficient drying time between. Once wrinkling has occurred, the entire finish must be removed and started over. Trying to remedy what is already there will be an exercise in futility.
      I should have waited 48hrs... thank you for answer!!

So one question today: I may have lost the key for my alternator pulley. Where could I find a replacement? None for sale on MM website. Would anybody have dimension? tip to replace it?

Thank you !!
      Surcouf
      A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Depending on the thickness of the previous coat, temperature, humidity, etc., 48 hours may not be enough either. Back when car repainting was a booming business the shops would lay on a single heavy coat and roll the car into an infrared booth to dry it. The example does not directly apply to your situation because there was no second coat but it speaks to air drying paint in a variety of atmospheric conditions.

Key stock is available at any good auto parts store, hardware store or industrial supplier. Can't help you on the size.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
          ...So one question today: I may have lost the key for my alternator pulley. Where could I find a replacement? None for sale on MM website. Would anybody have dimension? tip to replace it?

Thank you !!
          757 choices at McMaster-Carr!

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Surcouf
            • May 2018

So question for P-day (pan day)... how do you put the oil pan back on the block? - Block on its back (so lying head down), so it is easier to lay the 2 gaskets?
            - Or “block standing vertical”?
            - 3 rd option is pan lying flat at the bottom, but I do not have anything to lift my block and slowly take it down onto the pan, nor do I have an “engine stand”.

I prefer to ask the question to people who went down that road before I end up both hands covered of Permatex trying to hold the gaskets in place, or doing the same with an unstable block..

Thank you
            Surcouf

Comment

• jcwright
              Afourian MVP
              • Jul 2012

Hello Surcouf.

My first attempt was 'head up'. I followed the procedure described in the MM manual, but not closely enough, as I damaged the gasket. My second attempt was 'head down', which I found easier. But, I had an engine stand, and I see you don't.

Jack

Comment

• Surcouf
                • May 2018

So finally.... following step by step Don on YouTube on how to reassemble the flanges, seals, coupling etc... the “final nut” is on. This has been a very disappointing journey: paint is flaking when wrenches are turned, paint is dented when engine is flipped, it seems that I am always short of a bolt, or cannot find the right one (too long? Too short?).

I still need to go get the proper key for the accessory shaft, install water pump, thermostat housing, manifold etc... but having tightened together coupling, oil pan, block, head and flywheel housing is a major step for me. I could have never done it without you guys. Thank you

To come in the next few days: finishing to mount the rest, distributor installation (TDC to be found), organise the test bench, and try to fire that thing!

Note: I hope there is no penalty for poor paint jobs.... I have new heightened considerations for car body shops and whoever can achieve an OK paint job on an engine...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Surcouf; 05-05-2020, 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling
                Surcouf

Comment

• ronstory
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Feb 2016

Dude! ... you are "Almost there".

... Sorry... I could not resist.
                  Last edited by ronstory; 05-06-2020, 02:30 PM. Reason: grammar
                  Thanks,
                  Ron
                  Portland, OR

Comment

• Surcouf
                    • May 2018

I know... it is a rolling joke!!

Putting everything together is taking forever.... Next time, I will just pull a check and have Ken send me a new block.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Surcouf; 05-06-2020, 07:46 AM.
                    Surcouf

Comment

• Ando
                      • Jul 2019

Yes!!! She’s looking great! Nice job!

Comment

• ronstory
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Feb 2016

Yep, that is one nice looking engine.
                        Thanks,
                        Ron
                        Portland, OR

Comment

• Surcouf
                          • May 2018

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
                          Yep, that is one nice looking engine.
                          Honestly, I was under the impression that red would go well with bronze. Let’s be honest here, it does not. No wonder why I am not an artist, and work around power plants and other last industrial facilities: beauty is not the priority.
                          Surcouf

Comment

• ronstory
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Feb 2016

I don't know... but the color combo seems to have worked for a few movies.

Own a piece of the evil Red Skull Hydra's organization. No key is included. You can rely on us to do right by you. We try hard to be the best, and we assure you that you will get great communication and great service.
                            Thanks,
                            Ron
                            Portland, OR

Comment

• thatch
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Dec 2009

A word of caution

Excellent looking A4. Please avoid the temptation to use the stock
                              "lifting ring/alternator mount bracket" as a lifting point for re-installing your engine. The leverage factor between the large hole and the two head bolts puts enough force on the head to actually crack it in some cases. I have two heads in my A4 scrap pile that have that "injury". Some of us have actually added a small bracket, attached to that Lift/alt unit, that is supported be a third head bolt, to make it stronger. Others choose to use straps around the entire motor when it's time to do the lift.
                              Tom

Comment

• Surcouf
                                • May 2018

Originally posted by thatch View Post
                                Excellent looking A4. Please avoid the temptation to use the stock
                                "lifting ring/alternator mount bracket" as a lifting point for re-installing your engine. The leverage factor between the large hole and the two head bolts puts enough force on the head to actually crack it in some cases. I have two heads in my A4 scrap pile that have that "injury". Some of us have actually added a small bracket, attached to that Lift/alt unit, that is supported be a third head bolt, to make it stronger. Others choose to use straps around the entire motor when it's time to do the lift.
                                Tom
                                Thank you ! good to know. I have used both that hook and straps to lift the engine from the boat. Then straps through the engine mounts holes to go back and forth from the shop.
                                I will avoid using it, just for fear of cracking the block just when installing it back into the boat... I can just not fathom what my reaction would be, so close to the goal line, after so many hours of work... I would "blow a gasket" on the spot (no pun intended)
                                Last edited by Surcouf; 05-07-2020, 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling
                                Surcouf

Comment

Working...
                                X