X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdemore
    • Nov 2016

Spare Parts Question

Cleaning up after getting the boat put together and have a bunch of spare parts. Just wondering from you guys, which I should hang on to and which I should find a new home for. I don't think I'll be building a new motor anytime soon, but if I might need something, I'll hang on to it.

I have a whole reversing gear including the case, disassembled. 3 Oberdorfer water pumps, an accessory drive, side covers, flywheel, lifting eye bracket, alternator bracket, a head, and a cracked manifold (not sure a cracked manifold is good for anything).

Any suggestions on what I should keep?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Demore
    S/V Doin' It Right
    Pasadena, MD
    sigpic
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

I don't know your storage capacity or the tolerance of your spouse.
    Personally I'd keep the reversing gear (and case), probably dump the water pumps (they do wear out), keep the accessory drive (never know), dump the side covers (get new stainless if needed), and dump the flywheel (haven't broken one yet). Head and manifold depend on condition. Lifting/alternator bracket I'd keep, with an eye toward getting it modified to pick up a 3rd head stud.

Comment

• alcodiesel
      • Oct 2015

I concur with everything Al wrote, except you could sent the accessory drive to me. Maybe keep the best of the pumps.
      Bill McLean
      '76 Ericson 27
      :valhalla:
      Norfolk, VA

Comment

• marthur
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2004

I concur with Al, but as a unreconstructed pack rat I would keep the best of the water pumps and the side covers if in good shape.

The cracked manifold is scrap. I have never replaced a flywheel although I would inspect the teeth on the flywheel you are using before discarding the spare. I scrapped two flywheels over the years after offering them for sale so even as a pack rat I didn't want them.

I especially agree with Al about the head. Condition is everything.

Good luck!
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X