X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brewgyver
    • Jun 2014

Carb leak - Did I cause it?

OK, the carb is leaking a bit when the engine is shut down. Hadn't noticed this happen before, but I hadn't actually done much with the boat for months. I had rebuilt earlier this year. I pulled it apart and hosed it with B12, checked scavenger tube, etc. Bolted back up and ran the engine, still a few drips after shutdown.

I just watched Don's troubleshooting video, and noticed that when he removes the floats, there's no "garter pin" linking the needle to the float. On my carb, there is such a little clip (basically wire in the shape of a lazy W), and I've seen them on other carbs. So now I'm thinking the one I have doesn't belong, and it must have been in the rather generic rebuilt kit I got a while back, and it's keeping the needle from seating.

Just looked at several exploded diagrams of Zenith 68, and no garter clip...

I was just about to pull the trigger on a new carb, but I'm thinking I need to head to the boat tomorrow and R&R, leaving out that clip, and see if that cures it.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
    Kent
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

While your at it check the float level once the clip is removed. Also look for any imperfections on the tip & seat. Giving the floats a shake to be sure there is no fluid in the float.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Also put the float in hot water. If it bubbles, it has a leak.

Comment

• brewgyver
        • Jun 2014

Will do both. I had actually pulled the float and needle to shoot B12 into the seat, so I'm 90+% certain the floats have no issues.

Comment

Working...
        X