Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rando1201
    • Apr 2020

Hey Don, yes thats one of my issues, but I'm making a puller. The main concern that we are trying to figure out. Is that your couplers have descriptions that state, not reccomended for v drives. Just trying to figure out why. If its ok to use a coupler from your site then I will be buying as soon as you give the green light.
    Thanks

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Output and prop shaft couplings

Rando,

The engine output couplings, and all of the prop shaft coupling options in our online catalog, are designed to work only on direct drive Atomic 4s.

The demand for output couplings and/or prop shaft couplings for V-drive and Reduction gear models of the Atomic 4 is so low that it would cost you more for us to have one custom made than if you took your coupling in to a local machine shop to have one made.

I'm still uncertain why you think you need a new coupling (output or prop shaft coupling). The photo you posted at the beginning of this thread appears to show that you have an output coupling on your V-drive as well as on your prop shaft. Don

Comment

• Rando1201
        • Apr 2020

I just got done swapping motors in this boat, also just came off the hard. Had to have a propshaft machined due to the boat not having zinks on it for probably many years. I just acquired the boat this last April. I went to put the old coupling back onto the new propshaft. Come to find out it wouldn't fit, so I started taking a mallet to hammer it on further.

Now im stuck with the coupler stuck on the propshaft, so i was going to buy your split hub coupler.

And yes the v drive has a flange. It seems to be part of the vdrive. But that coupler mates up with the propshaft coupler.

Just had the engine aligned, been putting a Ton and ton if work into this boat. So just needed to know if the couplers on your site would work.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Rando1201
          • Apr 2020

Here is am example of the v drive flange. I just can't get it to the set screw mark. I was just thinking to drill a tapered set screw hole and just leave as is. But that is probably not going to work, someone said I could wind up splitting the shaft.

Comment

• Rando1201
            • Apr 2020

Here are the images
            Attached Files

Comment

• Rando1201
              • Apr 2020

I just dont see why your couplers on your site won't work. I had a 1" propshaft made. It should work.

Comment

• Don Moyer
                • Oct 2004

Coupling compatibility

Coupling compatibility depends on more than just the shaft diameter. The bolt patterns and facial features on the couplings are different between direct drive, V-drive, and reduction gear versions of the Atomic 4. This is why none of our direct drive couplings would work in your V-drive installation.

It appears that your new shaft may be a bit oversized. The really professional solution would be to take the new shaft and your prop shaft coupling in to the machine shop that made your new shaft and have one or the other adjusted for a nice slip fit. It shouldn't take more than gentle tapping to seat the coupling onto the prop shaft. Don

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Don Moyer View Post
                  The really professional solution would be to take the new shaft and your prop shaft coupling in to the machine shop that made your new shaft and have one or the other adjusted for a nice slip fit. It shouldn't take more than gentle tapping to seat the coupling onto the prop shaft.
                  I used to go further than that at the factories, my shafts could be slid in by hand and let the coupling set screws (set in generous shaft dimples) do all the holding. It brings a tear to my eye when I see yard employees installing shafts with sledge hammers on wood blocks.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Rando1201
                    • Apr 2020

Hey guys, I received a response from Walter's customer service. Maybe save as a sticky for the part number. Thanks again for your help guys.

I'm almost done with my boat!!!!! Yewwwwwww! Well at least done with the functional aspects. Been going full steam since April lol!

Randy,

For a model RV-10D WALTER V-Drive and 1" propeller shaft, our part number is #10-25-1". Cost is $178.00, in stock.

If you need the (3) coupling bolts and lockwashers #10-25B, they are available at a cost of $3.35 each

Comment

• tenders
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

My installation is the one that triggered the note on the Moyer store that the split couplings don't work with a Vee drive. Too many differences - face indexing/register pattern, bolt distance from center, very little space between the shaft and the engine to accommodate the wider diameter of the split coupling...my machine shop flatly refused but nicely talked me out of it too.

Don has been offering split couplings for years but only until this season did somebody with a vee drive try to put one on. Well...two somebodies. Welcome to the club!

I bit the bullet and bought that pricy Walter coupling when I dealt with this in 2001. Ended up reusing that coupling. The moral of the story is...pay up and cry once.

As for getting the shaft out of the coupling: this is a terrible job in the confines of the engine room, and a puller might not do the trick. I cut my 3/4" shaft with a cheap Harbor Freight oscillating saw and some midpriced Bosch bimetal blades. Took less than 15 minutes. A Sawzall would have been faster but could not be maneuvered into that tiny space. Replaced the shaft easily online from Deep Blue Yacht Supply - but take the measurements of your old shaft carefully!

Comment

Working...
                      X