X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Here is something else that is to your (Bill's) credit as a result of this forum:

The latest poster child is ANDO

Ando joined the forum 13 months ago with zero mechanical experience but a desire to learn. I don't think he even owned a wrench. Without repeating his marathon thread My A4 Adventures, yesterday afternoon he was headed over to a slip neighbor's 1974 Ranger 33 to troubleshoot a non-running A4. At last report he has determined there is a fuel delivery problem with a silent electric fuel pump, 12VDC confirmed and OPSS bypassed. Today he will install a borrowed spare fuel pump for testing.

Way cool . . . .
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• TomG
      Afourian MVP Emeritus
      • Nov 2010

Because of this forum, I have a Tartan 30.

Ten years ago (wow!), I found a rather cosmetically ragged-out Tartan 30 that was home to a brand new MMI rebuilt A-4 and full set of new UK/Halsey Tape Drive sails. I knew my way around 2-stroke outboards and had a pretty fair understanding of 4-stroke mechanics, but the little bronze A-4 was a bit of a mystery. I came home after looking at the boat and starting researching Universal's marvelous little workhorse. In short order, my google-fu led me here.

My original intent was to rule out buying the T30 by learning the A-4 was unreliable and expensive to fix. Then with a clean conscience, I could move past the very inexpensive Tartan. What I found instead was a forum so beautifully arranged and moderated that I couldn't "X" the Tartan off the list. I dived deeper into the forum lurking and learning and reading 100's of posts on everything from OPSS to the UHS. I found the Rosetta Stone, Enigma Machine, and magic decoder ring of all things A-4. While I was soaking up years and years of knowledge, I discovered that forum not only had a ginormous brain, but an even bigger heart. The humor, the camaraderie, the encouragement, the occasional deserved jab and often self-deprecating stories made this forum a sanctuary of people just being cool. I knew with this forum, I could handle any A-4 issue that might arise. I bought the boat and I was repaid time and again by this forum.

I participate on many forums, but nothing else exists like this one.

Thank you for all your years of dedicated guidance, Bill.

You've created something quite magical.
      Tom
      "Patina"
      1977 Tartan 30
      Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Thank You Bill.

Bill, thank you so much for everything you have done for us all. Know you were so appreciated and your presence will be missed.

Mo.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• bmorgan1959
          • Jun 2014

Sad to see you go

Bill, I know you don't know who I am, probably like most of us that use this forum whenever our ole Atomic 4's won't fire, but please know how much the time and effort you have contributed to this forum has meant to me. This forum is unique in its ability to laugh at itself, and still be civil and sooo informative. It speaks to the people who share this platform, but mostly it highlights the attitude and personality of the person who edits and organizes and breathes life into it everyday.
          Thank you for a job well done. We will miss you.

Comment

• Administrator
            MMI Webmaster
            • Oct 2004

Bumped for Brenda's benefit.

Bill
            Last edited by Administrator; 08-18-2020, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X