X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dennis Mominee
    • Oct 2009

Antifreeze in the Carburator

Greetings. I recently winterized my Atomic 4 which included flushing antifreeze through my raw water cooling system (with engine running) and draining the carburetor of gasoline. Today I decided to check/adjust my valve push rod clearances. I turned the engine over by hand quite a few times to get to the #1 TDC position. When I took off the carburetor, I found that it was filled with antifreeze. Could my hand cranking have caused this, or do I have an exhaust manifold gasket failure? Previous cylinder compression readings all fell into the middle 80 PSIs. Thanks.
  • keelcooler
    • Oct 2008

Dennis, Yes sounds like you filled up the exhaust when turning over w/a water trap type muffler system. Turn off intake,blow out combustion chambers and treat w/MMO. I would run and winterize again after blow out .Check oil for signs of antifreeze.

Comment

• zellerj
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2005

I doubt if turning it over a few times to get to TDC would cause the water lift muffler to fill up so that antifreeze would get into your carb. I would look for another cause.
      Jim Zeller
      1982 Catalina 30
      Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Both previous posters make valid points. Here's my $.02: compression readings indicate your head/head gasket/valve train are intact which leaves only over cranking (Keel's suggestion) or a compromised manifold. Is the waterlift full or exhaust hot section wet internally? If not, the manifold is suspect.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dennis Mominee
          • Oct 2009

It turns out the red fluid I found in the carb was actually MMO that I had previously squirted into the cylinders to soak the valves. The MMO is the same color as the antifreeze I used. I discovered this after rethinking what I had done in the winterizing process and by hand cranking the engine some more without the carb on. MMO came out the manifold. I finished the valve adjustments -they were all to tight - and am now looking forward to spring. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
          X