X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickandlee
    • Nov 2016

Manifold Fitting

I've searched here for several hours and have not found the answer so I'll ask the question. A new to me, supposedly rebuilt, engine in my project boat is missing a fitting. It appears to need a flange (2 bolt) fitting with 1/2 pipe threads to connect thermostat to manifold hose. All of the pictures I find show the barb to NPT fitting screwing right into the manifold. Is this fitting available or do I need to fabricate one or thread the hole? My first A4 since the internet started and there is a wealth of info here. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

R&L, welcome to the forum!

I am wondering if maybe that is an early model manifold? The older ones had a metal crossover tube to get cooling water from the head to the manifold..the late model has a 3/8" NPT coming out of the t-stat fitting, and to another 3/8" NPT fitting into the manifold. Do you have a t-stat housing just out of the field of view on the other side of the head & the spark plugs?

On late model manifolds, the flat flange area is still there, but no threads for a fitting..the barb/etc, screws right in the 3/8" NPT hole.

I have only seen early model engines in pictures, so I am guessing..someone with more experience with both will be along to help. Feel free to take some more wider angle pics too..it helps us see more parts and layouts and stuff.

Additionally, the block looks to be late model (sheetmetal flywheel cover), and I think the edges are more rounded in general on early model cast parts as compared to late model parts.
    Last edited by sastanley; 11-30-2016, 03:28 PM.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Moyer sells the piece you need:

You might ask nice and see if they will sell you just one, you don't need both.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• rickandlee
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
        R&L, welcome to the forum!

I am wondering if maybe that is an early model manifold? The older ones had a metal crossover tube to get cooling water from the head to the manifold..the late model has a 3/8" NPT coming out of the t-stat fitting, and to another 3/8" NPT fitting into the manifold. Do you have a t-stat housing just out of the field of view on the other side of the head & the spark plugs?

On late model manifolds, the flat flange area is still there, but no threads for a fitting..the barb/etc, screws right in the 3/8" NPT hole.

I have only seen early model engines in pictures, so I am guessing..someone with more experience with both will be along to help. Feel free to take some more wider angle pics too..it helps us see more parts and layouts and stuff.

Additionally, the block looks to be late model (sheetmetal flywheel cover), and I think the edges are more rounded in general on early model cast parts as compared to late model parts.
        The block has all indications of being late model. The manifold is possibly early model (all new to me). Here are a couple more pictures showing the T-stat housing. If I could get one of those end fittings joe_db has pictured I would probably be good to go.
        Attached Files

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

You can - the host of this very site sells them
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• rickandlee
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
            You can - the host of this very site sells them
            Thanks Joe. I'll give them a call. $72 for the whole thing and use only a piece is a little spendy for me. I have everything in my shop to make one and I'm retired so I should just get off my lazy a## and do it.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

R&L, when you call the parts line and talk to Ken, he'll hook you up. I agree with Joe you only need the one part to get a hose on the front end of what I think is an early model manifold on an otherwise late model motor (& head).

Ken knows his stuff...give him a call and explain the situation...In your case you need to link the t-stat housing exit with the manifold, and then the other end of the manifold heads off to an anti-siphon loop on its way to the muffler.
              -Shawn
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

why not thread the hole?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

Why Didn't Think Of This Before?

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                  why not thread the hole?
                  I just saw some pictures posted by TIM in another thread.
                  This is a perfect time to do the THATCH modification on your engine to feed the cooling water into the manifold at it's low end.
                  Run a tube from the thermostat housing to the lower barb already on the manifold. Thread the upper hole, put a barb in it and run a hose to the exhaust system. Easy peasie

TRUE GRIT

Edit: S\B Why didn't I think of this before. Note to self: Engage brain before typing.
                  Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 12-01-2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• rickandlee
                    • Nov 2016

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
                    why not thread the hole?
                    I'm going to give Ken a call tomorrow to check on the fitting. If the price is reasonable I'll go that route. If not I'll try threading the hole. The biggest problem is the hole is almost 1/16" too large for a 1/2" pipe thread so the threads won't be very deep. I don't want to up size to 3/4" because of restrictions around the hole. I'm considering epoxying a close nipple into the hole if the threads are suspect or won't hold tight. If this engine runs I will probably change to an indigo thermostat because my current T-stat housing and T-stat are pretty trashed. I just want to know if the engine will run at this point before I start putting money into "this" engine.

I will make the plumbing changes to the Thatch idea also.

Thanks, Rick

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

You may want to assess the condition of the manifold. If there is a concern over it's remaining life you may choose to pull the trigger now and replace it with new that has the threaded hole already.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• rickandlee
                        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                        You may want to assess the condition of the manifold. If there is a concern over it's remaining life you may choose to pull the trigger now and replace it with new that has the threaded hole already.
                        Thanks Neil. My wife, Lee, wants to here this engine run before she will give me the credit card. It's in our 1975 $1000 S2 26 Mid (8.0 C) project boat.

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by rickandlee View Post
                          My wife, Lee, wants to here this engine run before she will give me the credit card
                          Can't argue with that logic.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Buy brass bar stock. Drill the two mounting holes and one NPT hole. That should get you through the test
                            Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

At this stage of life of A4's, most of the boats are project boats! Our wives will help bring Lee around (and there are plenty of ladies that own A-4 powered boats on this forum too!)
                              -Shawn
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X