Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sail-ready
    • Jul 2014

[QUOTE=Al Schober;83746]At second look, there's something about the cooling hoses I'd like to trace further. There's that Tee and the ball valve leading to who knows where? These mods seem well done. Seems like someone with some smarts may have had a hand on this engine.
    QUOTE]

This boat has a hot water heater... could this be the re-plumbing that I read about in the FAQ section? If so, when running under normal operations and not using the water heater, this valve would remain closed, correct?

I will trace the hose next time I'm at the boat. My offer was accepted and hope to close this saturday. I'm certain I'll be reaching out for more advice - standing by...

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

I think that's the seawater supply line from the seacock. That line tee'd into it could be a bilge water line for use as an extra (emergency) bilge pump. If you find it just goes to a screen pickup sitting in the bilge, then I'm right. If not, then I'm not right

R.
      Last edited by lat 64; 07-30-2014, 11:00 PM.
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

Be careful about any changes to the exhaust plumbin on the
        Tartan 34C make sure nothing is close to the wood enclosure
        There is another thread where we discussed using Calcium Silicate
        insulation on the exhaust.

Enjoy the boat they sail great

Art

Comment

• Bold Rascal
          • Mar 2011

Congrats and welcome

This forum will prove itself to be an awesome resource for you. Tons of great experience here.

Definitely follow the advice about vacuuming out the loose scale and soaking those plugs with penetrating oil for a few day's, longer if possible. I wish I had that kind of engine access.

Does the engine turn over? I'm not suggesting you attempt to run the engine! Do you have a hand crank? If the engine turns free without any eyebrow raising noises or grinding/binding chances are she just needs some TLC and will be a great engine despite the way it looks.

As you go through the process of getting your new boat back in shape keep in mind that you don't know when the last time the engine was actually running and how it was running so your first steps towards getting her back to life should be small ones.

Get yourself a Moyer Manual if you haven't already. Excellent manual.
          Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
          1973 Pearson 33
          1967 Bristol 27
          sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

I have had a Tartan 34 for 18 years and love it.

Comment

Working...
            X