-Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Bold Rascal
      • Mar 2011

But!

Moyer Marine does have a forum discussion category specifically for "Drive Train / Propellers".

Speaking only for myself, I'm extremely pleased and appreciative that MM supports this kind of group discussion and edification.
      Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
      1973 Pearson 33
      1967 Bristol 27
      sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

If we deleled all the posts about Indigo PCV systems that would be 1/3 of the forum total posts right there
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I'm not trying to deny Indigo's existence. As they offer A-4 specific products I would expect their name to pop up from time to time but this thread was specifically about a product of theirs and went for 38 posts before I'd heard enough.

MMI has extended considerable effort and expense to establish a customer base and this forum plays a major role in that effort. It seems to me it deserves a little more consideration and respect than I'm seeing recently.

Okay, end of rant.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

If Moyer was selling a prop your rant would have a point. But they don't and the Indigo prop makes the A4 a better engine and thus makes people want to keep them more and thus gives Moyer a bigger customer base and thus everyone wins here
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

You're entitled to your opinion Joe.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• Bold Rascal
                • Mar 2011

Interresting..

I can certainly appreciate respecting the forum and it's provider however, JDB makes an excellent point.

My opinion (of which I am also entitled) is that this forum is here specifically for help and advice to promote the continued service and performance of the A4 engine.

I appreciate that MM is a business and happily support that business however possible, both as a patron and an extremely satisfied customer who has nothing but good things to say about them.

As the OP of this thread, my intention was to gain the benefit of the experience of others who have already invested in this brand of propeller before I make my own purchase.

I certainly wasn't trying to "pitch it",, get it?..."pitch"
                Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
                1973 Pearson 33
                1967 Bristol 27
                sigpic

Comment

• wlevin
                  • Nov 2006

We hit a mooring and lost a blade from our CDI plastic prop a few years ago. We motored home about 14 miles across Buzzards Bay without much trouble. In fact, there was not much vibration and we motored at about 60% efficiency. Amazing. DCI sent us a new one at 50% cost.
                  We have the CDI as our backup now since we have been sailing in Maine more, and are afraid of losing a blade to one of the gazillion lobster pots there. We have an early bronze Indigo on the boat as our primary and are happy with it. I think we lose half a knot compared with hiding a two bladed prop behind the skeg when sailing. Also, our rpms with the indigo are a bit higher than with the indigo. We cruise at 1900 to 2000 with not much noise, and can get 2500 out under adverse conditions.
                  Bill and Jeanne
                  T34C #453
                  Otter

Comment

• Skywalker
                    • Jan 2012

I'm not sure what to make of the Indigo v MMI debate.

I may be naive, but it seems to me that MMI (I have had significant discussions with Don and Ken for various reasons) represents the very best in honesty, integrity, and customer service. While I sincerely hope they are successful financially, I believe without reservation that they are not at all greedy. They run a business that appears to recognize that there is enough to go around, especially if you "do the right thing".

I was just telling my son yesterday that I would gladly pay a little extra to support MMI and this forum based upon the generosity displayed by all, including all of you.

While I don't think this forum should go out of its way to promote other businesses, I do think that any relevant topic or product A4 related is fair game for discussion.

Having said that, I know where my loyalty lies.

Chris

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

Don et al are smart people. This forum helps keep the Atomic Going, which keeps MMI going. I see it as that simple.

I see a lot of guys here, trying to find cheaper ways to get things fixed. SOme are successful. Many discussions here involve buying stuff at HD or other vendors. It is all part of the business. If we want to call it that, LOL.

There are guys that will buy something that is 3 percent cheaper, from someone other then MMI. I dont get why they would do that. But they do.

Also I have found that MMI prices are quite compettive. the quality is always tops, and comes with Don enclosed.

I will continue to support MMI.

All hail Don, all hail Don, all hail Don...........

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Jan 2007

Respect

I have the opinion that the site is provided and maintained for all things A-4 and pretty much boating too. Once a site like this is presented it is going to expose more than just the provider and their "stuff". The fact that these other manufacturers are mentioned is something to be expected and respected by us the users. Keeping the A-4 alive and well takes the efforts of all who mfg. and/or supply parts.
                        Don and MMI have provided a site that is intended to discuss all things A-4 and this would include competition to a certain extent, that being our discussing it. These discussions have made this site the best thing A-4 and also probably one of the best "small boat anything" sites there is.
                        It is up to us the users to show respect to the host and discuss things in a factual manner and not just to rant like a fool!

All hail Don

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                          It is up to us the users to show respect to the host and discuss things in a factual manner and not just to rant like a fool!
                          I'm all for A-4 discussions but fool or not, if another business is going to be chatted up for 38 posts I'll have no part of it. It's where my respect leads me.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

If Moyer sold a competing product you might have a point. This is kind of like fighting over a Goodyear vs. Dunlop tire discussion on a Porsche forum and forgetting that Porsche does not make tires and thus is not losing money if people are convinced to buy one or the other. Also note the MOYER admin(s) started a thread about Ipads if memory serves
                            We also routinely have people selling A4s and A4 parts on here, which DOES compete with Moyer and they seem cool with that to the extent they created a classified section.

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                            I'm all for A-4 discussions but fool or not, if another business is going to be chatted up for 38 posts I'll have no part of it. It's where my respect leads me.
                            Last edited by joe_db; 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM.
                            Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• Administrator
                              MMI Webmaster
                              • Oct 2004

I believe it is fair to say that we go to great lengths to leave the conversations unfettered, even in those increasingly frequent occasions when the points made in individual posts are nonsensical from a technical perspective. At most, we usually add a "buyer beware" comment and leave it to our members to recognize when someone is trying to convince them that water runs uphill. For those who frequent the forum, a number of examples should quickly come to mind. This can make for some lengthy and occasionally testy threads, but the cream usually floats to the top.

Moyer Marine and Indigo are competitors, at least in my mind. We do not compete with Indigo in every niche of the markets we pursue, but there are surely obvious overlaps. How this affects the appropriateness of any individual post is, for the moment at least, left to the individual's good judgment and sense of propriety, I guess. I think most of you would agree that some posts, and a few posters, have gone way over the line at times.

Bill

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                                • Jan 2007

T h t n o t h

Well said Bill.

Allow me to thank you and the rest at MMI for what you have provided for those who participate and gleen advise here.

All hail Bill
                                All hail Don
                                All hail MMI
                                _/) _/) Fair Winds and the A-4 always ticking when we need it.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                                X