X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gclayton
    • Feb 2008

Ethanol and other Govt. Meddeling

With all the changes in formulation of gas I am unsure if I should use gas from a gas station, what grade and if I need to add any special gas treatment. Also, will dry gas hurt the engine and will it help eliminate any water condensation?

Thanks
    George Clayton
    sv ADULLUM II
    C30

"The Majesty Of The Sea Far Exceeds The Muscle Of Language To Express It" Unknown
  • thatch
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2009

gclayton,
    Practical Sailor magazine as of Nov. 2008, liked Sta-Bil Marine Formula, as their additive of choice. Since most of us are relegated to using normal automotive type fuel, I transport mine, 5 gallons at a time from home in an effort to get the cleanest, most water free fuel as possible. 87 octane is all an A4 really needs.
    Tom

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

I've had my A4 for four years now. Aside from my first season, when pouring five gallons of gas of an unknown vintage that the PO left me promptly clogged my carb, I've had zero issues with modern gasoline.

I use the ordinary Sta-Bil and Marvel's MO and add gas five at a time to top up the tank. In a season I probably use a total of 15 gallons, which means my tank gets a total turnover of gas every year.

It seems to me that if one is truly concerned with the gas in his tank, the best solution would be to drain the fuel tank as part of the winterizing program and start with all fresh gas the next season. That should take care of it.

Comment

• Laker
        • Sep 2010

Ethanol is a lousy fuel. Evironmentalism at it's worst. Take away the subsidies and see how long it stays on the market.
        1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• JimG
          • Mar 2005

Please don't lump ethanol policy with environmentalism. The only good thing ethanol does is make some corn farmers rich. It's bad for the environment, bad for marine fuel systems, bad for your lawn mower, costs more to make than straight gasoline, and drives the overall price of food up. I know quite a few environmentalists and none of them ever thought it was a good idea.
          S/V Latis
          Brookings, OR
          Ranger 33

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Come on guys...my company is doing very well transporting the stuff on our trains and providing employment to the guys who man the trains.

Comment

• vabiker23518
              • Feb 2007

Couldn't agree more

Ethanol, from corn, is terrible. We're burning our food. The only people it helps are some mid west farmers (not that theres anything wrong with mid-west farmers) and a bunch of suits!
              I've had to drain my tank the last two seasons due to it. Sta-bil just can't get it done.

Comment

• Laker
                • Sep 2010

The reason I connected ethanol with environmentalism is because ethanol is marketed as a "greener fuel" - which is simply false! Without that marketing schtick I do not believe that the whole subsidy scam would have had the legs to succeed.

That is what I meant by environmentalism at it's worst , and I stand by it.

Now it is becoming increasingly difficult for commoners in Latin countries to afford their staple tortillas because we are putting corn in our gas tanks.

We should be ashamed.
                Laker
                Last edited by Laker; 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM.
                1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Ethanol isn't going away anytime soon guys...besides, some of those commoners could stand to eat a few less tortillas anyway;

Comment

• Laker
                    • Sep 2010

."besides, some of those commoners could stand to eat a few less tortillas anyway"

That is not funny. Corn is the basis of their diet.
                    1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• pallen58
                      • Oct 2009

Don't use E10 or E15

Boat US takes the position that Ethanol is bad for the marine engine. Here is a link to the BoatUS article.
                      BoatUS Newsroom offers the latest boating news, tips, and information from the nation’s largest advocacy, services and safety group for recreational boaters.

Plus the government agency that regulates that, sorry can't remember that 3 letter agency, further states that e-blends are not approved for the marine industry. I am particularly concerned about the corrisive effect on almost anything, tanks, both metal and fiberglass and hoses.
                      You can go to this site and find real gas, http://www.buyrealgas.com/.
                      I was just in west Florida and the couple of marinas I visited I specifically asked about the gas blend. They all had real gas at a 89 or 91 octane.

Comment

• Laker
                        • Sep 2010

"They all had real gas....."

That's the key.
                        1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by JimG View Post
                          Please don't lump ethanol policy with environmentalism. The only good thing ethanol does is make some corn farmers rich. It's bad for the environment, bad for marine fuel systems, bad for your lawn mower, costs more to make than straight gasoline, and drives the overall price of food up. I know quite a few environmentalists and none of them ever thought it was a good idea.
                          +1 JimG - The environmentalists don't want us burning anything at all as far as I can tell. I wish I could get there!

The latest personal problem I have is that NASCAR is now endorsing ethanol laced fuel. I wonder if they will need to remove the restrictor plates at Talledaga and Daytona now to still make enough HP do to 200MPH??
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Laker View Post
                            ."besides, some of those commoners could stand to eat a few less tortillas anyway"

That is not funny. Corn is the basis of their diet.
                            And the corn that is grown to make ethanol is not the same type of corn that is used to make tortillas...just like the corn that is grown to feed cattle is not the same type of corn used to feed people.

It will be some time yet before we see a shortage in the supermarkets.

Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 04-07-2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Will Jacocks
                              • May 2010

There is a fuel station near me in town, that sells both unleaded with and unleaded without ethanol. The w/o is 5 cents/gallon more than the ethanol fuel. There is no super, premium or unleaded. Just unleaded (87) without ethanol and unleaded (87) with ethanol.

Comment

Working...
                              X