X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • photoflash
    • Aug 2005

Fuel starved engine

Well, now that I have solved prop, exhaust, cooling and low power problems, I have a new one.
    Now that I can run the engine at over 1000 rpms for the first time since I got it over 20 years ago (too big prop) and cured the overheating with a new impeller and exhaust hose, I now have a problem with runs of over a mile or so under power in that the engine does not seem to be getting enough fuel. I checked while the engine was starving out (Loss of rpms down to about 1000) and found that the fuel filter (clear) was almost bone dry! Just barely a trickle coming out of the tank.
    The fuel pump is a facet electric about 20 years old. My thinking is it is not pumping enough. The tank is about 3-4 ft. from the engine and mounted at or slightly above engine level.
    Do I (A) need a new pump and (B) would the 3-4 psi deliver more fuel?
    Mel
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Before springing for a new pump, I'd disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor and pump some fuel into a clean glass jar.

We don't talk about this very much, but you can pick up a vacuum gauge at most any local auto parts store and use the 0 to 6 psi range on the gauge to check fuel pump pressure. This takes the guesswork out of fuel pump performance. As long as you observe 2 to 3 psi at the carburetor, the pump should be fine.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X