• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surcouf
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2018

This is very impressive!!!
    This is exactly what my boat needs. Just no time for that...
    Surcouf
    A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Keeping this about the Atomic 4

It is amazing the renewed energy that comes with the accomplishment of resolving a completely dead engine with your own hands.

Back me up here Ando.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Ando
        • Jul 2019

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. And Neil, I’d back you up any day whether it be right or wrong...but what you say IS right
        Thanks again guys

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          • Nov 2008

Be sure to remove the tape right after the last coat, while the paint is still wet, so you don't risk chipping at the margins.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Ando
            • Jul 2019

Early model back from acid wash

Click image for larger version

Name:	EABFD956-6E50-49B9-8D76-DE2DDC3DE850.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	200771

A pic of the early model A4 which is back from the acid wash done by the machine shop. Two issues: first, the acid wash revealed two holes in cylinder #4 that go right into the water jacket and; second, my machine shop does have a bore small enough to hone the cylinder.

Thus, to resolve the first issue, the block needs sleeves. I found a sleeve shop called L.A. Sleeve and consequently my machine shop has heard of them and indicates that it is a reputable outfit. I spoke to L.A. Sleeve and they have the sleeve and the bore in the size required to bring it back to standard size.

So I picked up the block from the good ol’ boy shop and am planning on taking it to L.A. Sleeve to sleeve and bore to standard size. The good old boys still have all the other parts (cam, crank etc.) which they have yet to work on...really the cam is good. They just have to bring the crank and ensure that it’s straight.

Comment

• Ando
              • Jul 2019

Name:	4DB5F290-A63B-4658-8039-510B53A6F917.jpg
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	200772

This is a pic of cylinder #4 showing the holes revealed by the acid wash. Holes that go directly to the water jacket

Name:	2DA78CC9-D9A9-403C-BA5F-D2171D2BDBF2.jpg
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	200773

Picture of the same holes this time from the perspective of the water jacket.

P.S. the shop with serious faces asked me, “did you actually run this engine before?” And with a man equally straight face I straight told them, “yes, I did...for about one year” ha! They were speechless hehe

Comment

• Ando
                • Jul 2019

Still on the early model adventure

I was quoted ~$600 by phone to sleeve and hone the cylinders (acid wash revealed a couple holes in cylinder 4) and so I took the freshly acid washed block to the shop to have it done. They re-quoted me $1200. I was like “that’s double what I was quoted!?!” so they quoted me $1000.

While contemplating, I noticed a few more rather ugly holes in the block. Those holes are in each of the three respective cam shaft saddles. So I put the block in my car and drove away bc I first need to ask you all, are these holes supposed to be there? If not, it seems that this block is shot, so no need to try sleeve and save it. If so, why aren’t they nice and round? And what are they for (oil ports?)?

Name:	0EEB0D43-038F-4827-A780-F14BA1764F52.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	200821

Name:	7A9B23DC-763F-4968-8C7D-DD1D7F936CDE.jpg
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	200822

Name:	D450708C-BE92-489C-B178-14C1239C2278.jpg
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	200823

Comment

• Ando
                  • Jul 2019

Did I just post something novel that stumped the forum?

Anyone have anything re the above post? Is everyone as stumped as me? Please lmk.

UPDATE: I spoke to Ken and he confirmed that the oblong holes in the cam shaft saddles are, in fact, supposed to be there. They are oblong because they are drilled at an angle and they are oil ports. Mental note to ensure that those holes line up with the corresponding area of the cam bearing.
                  Last edited by Ando; 06-04-2020, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• Boat
                    • Aug 2014

those do not look normal to me at all. looks like the bearing went away and slop caused wear or something similar to that. a drilled angle hole for the oil and etc. doesnt look anything like that at all. that block is toast
                    '69 Newport 30 MKI Hull #20

Comment

• Ando
                      • Jul 2019

Halyard for jib stuck

Dont ask how that happened...any ideas on how I can get it down?

Comment

• Surcouf
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by Ando View Post
                        Dont ask how that happened...any ideas on how I can get it down?
                        get up there with a bosun chair and the main sail halyhard... May cost you a few beers to find somebody to help you get there and secure you.

I had to pay somebody from the yard to get up there unblock mine...
                        Surcouf

Comment

• rkohl44
                          • Feb 2017

This rig has enabled anchor light fixing, halyard unjamming, spreader light fixing, etc, etc. I've been to the top of my mast several times unassisted. It takes some practice, but is highly effective.

Climbing the mast has never been easier or safer. Single handed bosun chair that allows working above the mast without leaving the chair.

Comment

• Ando
                            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by rkohl44 View Post
                            This rig has enabled anchor light fixing, halyard unjamming, spreader light fixing, etc, etc. I've been to the top of my mast several times unassisted. It takes some practice, but is highly effective.

https://www.atninc.com/atn-mastclimb...quipment.shtml
                            For $500, it better ensure I dont get stuck up there lol ...just me and my halyard

Comment

• Surcouf
                              • May 2018

Originally posted by Ando View Post
                              For $500, it better ensure I dont get stuck up there lol ...just me and my halyard
                              a colleague from the dock used to tell me it was bad karma to go fix anything up the mast without a cold beer in the bucket:
                              "it goes up with you, you talk to it when job is done, and it comes down empty"
                              Surcouf

Comment

• Ando
                                • Jul 2019

Name:	B2EDBAD0-F8EC-4DCC-8E6C-0A955078186C.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	200860Rkohl44, I was visiting a local marine equipment consignment store for an unrelated item and told the guy behind the counter my story and mentioned to him the mast climber you hot linked and he looked behind him and there it was on the wall behind him for sale. $250! It looked brand new! I bought it and man! It’s awesome! I pretty much went up, fixed the issue and was back down in about 30 min! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X