• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikemoyer
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jul 2017

Do I need to replace my fuel pump?

I have a 1979 Pearson 32 with an Atomic 4. I know enough about engines to both fix them and break them while I'm fixing them.

My engine has been having some trouble this summer. Starting, running for a few minutes and then dying. The last time it died it's stayed dead. I've replaced the spark plugs and the fuel filter. But it still didn't work.

Pouring gas in the carburetor works, the engine starts...and then dies. So, I suspect it's not getting any fuel.

Not knowing much about fuel systems, I found a doohickey on the top of my gas tank that was very hot to the touch. It was very stubborn, but I managed to get it off thinking it might be a faulty fuel pump...it was not. It turned out to be an automatic shutoff valve (Trol?). I'm not sure what this is for, but I hope I haven't damaged the gas tank beyond repair. The tube that sucks gas from the tank may have dropped into the tank... problem.

After that debacle, I put my finger over the end of the gas line and turned on the starter. I did not feel any suction. Does this mean my fuel pump is broken? I want to make sure before I buy a new one.

I now know what the fuel pump looks like because there is a photo on this site. It's an engine-mounted electric pump (Product No. FPMP_10_52). Mine looks the same (but it's painted to match the engine).

So...my questions are:

1. How do I verify my pump needs replacing?
    2. What is an automatic shutoff and do I need one?
    3. Can I replace the intake tube on my tank leaving the old one loose in the tank?

Thank you, in advance, for your help!
  • tac
    • Nov 2015

Fuel Solenoid Valve

That fitting on top of the tank is a solenoid valve, required by the Coast Guard as an antisiphon device. See

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mikemoyer View Post
      So...my questions are:
      1. How do I verify my pump needs replacing?

3. Can I replace the intake tube on my tank leaving the old one loose in the tank?
      p!
      1. Run a hose from an auxiliary tank directly to the fuel pump bypassing all filters, prime the line, and see if the pump will pump. I used my remote start switch battery->fuel pump so I could watch the action.

3.Maybe no choice. I don't know what the consequences would be of leaving the pick up tube in the tank. Sounds like you are going to have to disassemble the solenoid/pick up tube and find out what is going on.

Aren't boats fun?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Van_Isle
        • Sep 2012

Few things here ....

1. I assume that if you removed the solenoid fuel shut-off, that you didn't leave the wires that were connected to it flopping about on the top of the tank

2. Did you ever hear the solenoid engaging and disengaging?

3. Your electric fuel pump should have an oil pressure safety switch. I'm wondering if it may have become intermittent and finally failed? If it doesn't have one, or if someone bypassed it previously, , you should be able to hear the pump operating (ticking) with Ignition on.

4. Have you cleaned the filter in the bottom of the fuel pump itself?
        1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
        Cygnet
        North Saanich, BC

Comment

Working...
        X