X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Surcouf
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2018

as usual, reading the fuel pressure is a must: it will confirm you if it is a fuel issue (crap in the fuel, lack of tank venting, etc..), or something else (over-heating coil (that was my issue), or seen a couple days ago with somebody else on that forum the shaft stuffing boat too tight that blocks itself when starts running).

Until you see the pressure gage go down, you are just guessing it is fuel...
    Last edited by Surcouf; 05-16-2022, 03:20 AM.
    Surcouf
    A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by ColeHarmening View Post
      Just installed a fuel pressure gauge. I turned my engine on in low rpm’s turned my iPhone camera on and went about my business. After about the twenty minute mark my engine shut down. I looked back on my video and found the pressure slowly dropping about 1 minute before the shutdown occurred. 30 seconds before the shutdown fuel pressure was at 0. Now I’m for sure certain it’s a fuel issue and since my pump, lines and filters are all brand new pretty sure I fuel tank cleaning and pickup line crud check is where I’ll find my problem. Thanks for the help! May also install that led test light that Al suggested to diagnose future spark problems. Any pics of that led install that I can refer too?

Thanks for the help. Now my Sunday afternoon will be spent digging around this fuel tank.
      At one time I had endless random shutdowns. I ended up with a pressure gauge and two vacuum gauges, one on the intake side of the filter and one on the output side but still before the fuel pump.
      If just the second one goes up, the filter is clogged. If they BOTH go up, the clog is back at the tank. This was the case with me and it turned out the fuel fill hose was slowly dissolving and dropping rubber bits into the tank, which would randomly suck onto the fuel pickup and randomly fall back off again.

If the fuel pressure starts looking erratic, dropping, coming back up, and then finally dropping for good, that is likely vapor lock or an air leak slowly getting air into the system.

If it just drops to 0 and stays there, that is likely a clog someplace, the FPSS is erratic, or you have a defective pump. You are on your way to solving this.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
      X