Atomic 4 runs great and then sudenly dies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tcatoe
    Frequent Contributor
    • Aug 2016

Atomic 4 runs great and then sudenly dies.

Atomic four on My P30 is running great now. However after running for about 30 to 45 minutes the engine suddenly dies. It will restart and then die again. I can get it to start with the choke then it dies. Then if I wait for 10 minutes or so it will start right back up and continue to run for another 30 to 45 min.

I have all new filters and new gas line in this rebuilt engine. When the engine dies I notice that the fuel pump is very hot. when I say hot I mean you can not touch it. It is a bulkhead mounted Airtex OEM fuel pump E2014M-3 $43.00, that you get from auto store. It came with the boat new in the box. All I can think is that the fuel pump is getting so hot that it vapor locks and corrects itself after cooling. I have it wired through the OPSS and pulling hot off the coil. I also have the bulkhead brackets grounded to the engine.

Any thoughts on this sure would much appreciated. I have tested the pump and it pumps fine when it is not hot. I cant touch it long enough to feel if it is pumping when it is hot. Do the electric fuel pumps normally run this hot?
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

An electric pump needs fuel flow to cool it and I suspect that is the origin of your problem. The tank vent comes immediately to mind. If it's not clear the pump will suck up to a point where negative pressure overwhelms its ability to pump.

As a diagnostic, try running with the fuel fill cap open, see if there's a difference.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by tcatoe View Post
      Do the electric fuel pumps normally run this hot?
      Only in hell.
      Been there... done that.
      -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
      sigpic
      1978 RANGER 30

Comment

Working...
      X