Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trés 30
    • May 2014

Thanks much for the product & resource suggestions. I ordered the standpipe but skipped the flange for budget reasons. I'll definitely need a bit of guidance making the transition from water lift and will be re-reading past posts until the new parts get here. The current configuration doesn't even have a hot section. Water injects directly after a 45 connected to manifold [upper right of pic 1] (maybe the advantage of the low water lift?). I also have a water entry fitting (EXHT_01.2_334) from the PO, but not sure if this will apply to the new system. Al, in your exhaust rebuild, is that all SS pipe?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Trés 30; 06-03-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Tres,
      No, all the hot pipe from the manifold flange to the mixing can is 1 1/4" black iron. I'd advise against galvanized as the zinc is just going to burn off - I prefer not to breathe that stuff.
      Reviewing my old notes, I told you one 45 elbow too many. Notes from 2006 show a) flange, b) 5" nipple, c) 45 elbow (adjust so next nipple is horizontal), d) 7" nipple, e) 90 elbow (adjust for vertical outlet), f) close nipple, g) union (not a coupling), h) nipple to the mixing can.
      A different sheet of notes show the first two nipple lengths as 3.5" and 7.5" - guess it's whatever works for you.
      Changes in the length of the first two nipples will adjust the position of the mixing can under the cover. Do your initial assembly only hand tight and see where things come out. Then take the first two nipples back and get the right lengths.
      In my case, the second nipple passes about 3/4" below the bulkhead, giving plenty of space for the lagging.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Just a small note

You know what guys. I think you guys with the stand-pipe set up do some pretty good things for new guys coming onto the forum. As you may have noticed, I stay out of areas such as this because I just haven't dealt with it enough to give an informed opinion.

Today I helped a guy get a 2GM15 Yanmar going....took me 40 minutes cleaning up connections etc but she fired right up. That's the easy stuff when it comes right down to it....really.

So, Kudos to those of you that delve into areas figuring out designs and layouts...in the end making it all work safely and dependably. Well done!
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

Working...
        X