X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobtookmm
    • Dec 2012

Overheating engine compartment

The eng compartment on my old boat is tight and the vents are located well to the rear. Last summer my eng quit twice in n
    ot good circumstances (both motoring hard into harbor or once on a hot day on the icw going through camp lejeune (posted: no stopping or anchoring). Nothing could be found wrong but a half hour latter it started. There might have been a third incident, but i finally figured out that if the compartment reached a certain temp , she quit. The temp gauge on the eng itself stays in the normsl range. Maybe something to do with the gas lines. On hot days i leave some access panels off and have never had a repeat. Hope this might help someone this summer.
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by bobtookmm View Post
    The eng compartment on my old boat is tight and the vents are located well to the rear. Last summer my eng quit twice in n
    ot good circumstances (both motoring hard into harbor or once on a hot day on the icw going through camp lejeune (posted: no stopping or anchoring). Nothing could be found wrong but a half hour latter it started. There might have been a third incident, but i finally figured out that if the compartment reached a certain temp , she quit. The temp gauge on the eng itself stays in the normsl range. Maybe something to do with the gas lines. On hot days i leave some access panels off and have never had a repeat. Hope this might help someone this summer.
    Can you run with he engine compartment open to test this theory out?
    Off the top of my heed it sounds more like the coil is over heating or a possible fuel tank vent issue.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
    X