X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailingdude
    • Jul 2007

Atomic 4 transmission behavior

I just finished moving the shift and throttle controls on my 1980 Catalina 30 up onto the steering pedestal. The boat has the original A-4 engine with the integral transmission. I notice that when I shift from neutral to forward, I definitely feel the transmission locking into gear. I don't feel that when shifting into reverse. Is this normal or should I be looking at adjusting the shift cable and/or the transmission?

Bob Boller
    Benicia, CA
  • Phil
    • Oct 2004

That's normal. There is a detent when shifting into forward, but there is none in reverse.

Comment

• rkllogjeri
      • Sep 2007

Transmission issue

I have a problem when my Catalina 27 is on idle, the transmission shaft spins. I tried to stop it by hand but it has a lot of pull. I am not sure what is going on? Does anyone know what the problem might be and what can I do to make sure that the shaft does not spin?

Comment

• baileyem
        • Jun 2006

Shifting

I believe that you need to adjust your shift cable. With the engine off, disconnect the shift cable from the 'transmission' shift lever at the engine end of the cable. Start the engine. Move the shift lever in and out of forward and reverse noting location of the neutral position as you go back and forth. Play with the shift lever until it is in a position where the shaft stops turning....this is your neutral position. Without moving the shift lever on the engine end. Place the cockpit shifter handle in the approximate neutral position and adjust the length of the cable on the "transmission" end until the holes in the cable clevis and the shifter arm match. You now have a neutral position, but it may take a few more adjustments until you can shift fully into forward, still have a neutral position and a reverse. It can be a nit-picky adjustment, but I'm sure you can do it.
        Good luck.
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X