• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mary
    • Jan 2017

Exhaust Manifold to Flange Gasket and other exhaust replacement fun

Hello All,

I have searched the forum, but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I have learned a lot about this exhaust system since it blew a hole a couple months ago!

I am replacing my exhaust because the black pipe rotted through in the hot section. I have salvaged the exhaust manifold. I thought I saw a post at one point from someone who found a gasket at an auto parts store. Does anyone know what auto engine uses the same gasket?

Alternatively, is there a gasket-maker that would be appropriate? The high temp ones at the auto parts store are good to 700 degrees F.. I can't remember what temperature that manifold gets to.

I know that Moyer sells one, but I'm wondering if I can find something locally and finish this repair quickly.

Any tips appreciated!
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Mary, I think your thinking about buying gasket material and "peening" one by hand~!~quite common in refurbishing. There is good gasket material available in most parts houses. You won't need "hi temp" as the exhaust/intake manifold is water cooled.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• mary
      • Jan 2017

Oh! That makes sense. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X