X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffmedic
    • Sep 2009

pesky oil leak

I have a 1973 Ranger 29 with an A4. There is significant a oil leak coming from behind the flywheel when the engine is running. It appears to be coming from the airseal, but I cant see for sure. I have already replaced the housing gasket, Ive checked to make sure that the drain holes for the air seal are cleared, yet it continues to dump oil. Does anyone know of any other possibilitiesI am at a loss right now.
    ffmedic - "Exodus" 1973 Ranger 30
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

You sort of have us over a barrel on this one. Unless you've accidentally overfilled the crankcase, as long as the air seal drain holes are open we don't have any history of significant oil leaks from behind the flywheel area.

Is it possible that the oil pressure sending unit is leaking and a small oil stream is spraying against the flywheel housing under pressure?

Don

Comment

• ffmedic
      • Sep 2009

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Don, I am going to check that out I know that I do need to replace the sending unit because it is not working. Hopefully that will do it.

Comment

• charles@pricefarrington.c
        • Aug 2008

I too have a Ranger 29. 1974. Send me some pictures.
        74' Ranger 29

Comment

• ffmedic
          • Sep 2009

pictures coming soon

I'll get some new pictures taken here soon then send them to you. I am in process of rebuilding the entire boat, inside and out. Currently the only pictures that I have are when I purchased it from an owner who neglected her and let her fill with approximately 6" of water as it sat on the hard for 4 years. Almost done.

Comment

Working...
          X