• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by gagabriele View Post
    Now, I'm concerned about the temperature of the engine. After letting it run for about 10 min the temperature gauge read 200. This appears to be the original gauge and I don't know if it reliable or not. Based on what I've read on this forum, it seems like I should be seeing something closer to 150-160 for my fresh water intake.
    Gary-
    Can you touch the head for a few seconds without burning your fingers
    (Hint: wet them first please )
    If not, your gauge is likely accurate.
    If you can, I'd invest in a new gauge.
    IMHO, the temp and oil gauges must be functional.
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ILikeRust
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by gagabriele View Post
      The exhaust has a steady "putt-putt" of water coming out the stern exhaust. I don't know if that's the right amount or not. One indication that it was getting water was that I had left the hose on top of the exhaust manifold disconnected by mistake and there was a steady stream of water shooting out of it before I saw that mistake.

Should I be concerned? Is it time for a new impeller or something else?
      Sounds correct. The hose on top of the exhaust manifold will discharge a steady stream of water - but that stream dumps into the exhaust downstream of the hot section, and into your wet lift muffler. In the muffler, the water accumulates until there is a "batch" of water large enough that the exhaust pressure blows it out the tailpipe. So you get that "batching" effect.

Here is what mine looked like on the hard, right after I re-installed my overhauled engine and got it fired up for the first time after the overhaul:

[YOUTUBE]J-ts7GJ1oHg[/YOUTUBE]
      - Bill T.
      - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

If original, the Catalina 27 exhaust does not have a waterlift. It's a straight run from the water injection to the transom.
        Attached Files
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ILikeRust
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

Well then, that's different!
          - Bill T.
          - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• gagabriele
            • Mar 2013

Thanks for the replies. My manifold is definitely too hot to touch so the gauge is probably working. Also, I do have the setup shown by Neil from the Catalina 27 parts catalog. After looking through some more information on the site, I think I need to go through the water inlet side and make sure that the cooling passageways are clear. I'll probably order a new impeller as well list to be safe.

As always, thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions.

Gary

Comment

• nyiftos
              • Jul 2013

you have 2 real options
              1) run the engine as best as possible on 3 cylinders and 95% chance that the stuck valve will free itself after long enough of running.
              2) take side plate off(yes remove carb, etc) and with a pry bar move valve closed, turn engine by hand( plugs removed) until valve opens again and over and over again with the use of a good spray until you will see the valve spring do the job on its own

Comment

Working...
              X