• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • julienrobi3
    • Feb 2021

Necessity of blank plate when removing the mechanical fuel pump

Hello!
    I am planning on removing the mechanical fuel pump and replace it by an electric one.
    Then thing is that I forgot to order the blank plate that covers the hole of the mechanical fuel pump once it is removed. And since I live in Canada, it will take up to 6 weeks to get here.
    Do you know if it is ok to leave temporarily the hole uncovered? Or should I cover it with something else instead? Or should I absolutely wait for the plate to arrive before removing the old mechanical pump?

I was also thinking that it might be possible to just "unplug" the mechanical pump (and leave it there until the plate gets here), and re-wire everything with the electric pump. But since I havent started the work, I dont even know if this is feasible.

Anyway, any input here would be great
    Thanks a lot!!
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

You can easily just disconnect and plug the fuel lines until the plate arrives. The plate from MMI is an exact fit and comes with a gasket I believe. A plate can be easily made as well as a gasket if you are so inclined. I'd just plug the mechanical pumps fuel lines and when the plate arrives you'll have an excuse for a couple beers and an hour or two of playing with the boat.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• julienrobi3
      • Feb 2021

Thanks a lot for your answer! I think that is what I will do !

Comment

• Sam
        Afourian MVP
        • Apr 2010

For what it is worth- since the late 70's I switched to an electric pump mounted on wall and left the mechanical pump in place.

Comment

Working...
        X