• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Coolant Capacity

Earlier this season I had an overheat incident, and ended up losing a lot of my glycol coolant. Refilled at the time with water, but it's time to get back to glycol. Today I flushed the block (it was pretty nasty) using fresh water then some soap - running clear after a couple of rinses.
    I could drain as well as I can and then refill with 50/50, but I'm worried that residual water in the block and heat exchanger will cause the final mix to be less glycol than desired.
    But, if I knew the total capacity of the block plus heat exchanger (Moyer type), I could just add the right amount of glycol then top up with water.
    So, anyone know the coolant capacity of the engine and the Moyer heat exchanger? I checked the MMI Manual, but didn't see anything..
    Last edited by Al Schober; 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM. Reason: add flush info
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

OK, filled the engine with glycol this morning and this is what I found.
    Drained the system. Pulled the plug behind the distributor & drained the block. Disconnected the hoses at the pump inlet and the manifold outlet. Blew through the hose from the manifold outlet and the heat exchanger seemed clear. Restored plug and both hoses.
    Filled system with glycol through the cap in the top of heat exchanger. It took about 1/2 a gallon to nearly overflow. Started the engine on idle and added another quart of glycol. Level stayed constant after running for several minutes. Checked with the $2 antifreeze tester, and all 5 balls floated.
    If there was indeed a quart of residual water, that makes the total system capacity about a gallon. It also means my coolant is now 75% glycol. If the residual was less, that makes the glycol % even higher.
    So a new question is whether this is a problem? If so, I can drain out a quart or so and refill with straight water. If not a problem, I won't bother.
    Thoughts?

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Al, I always keep my antifreeze to water ratio on the high side. Here in Florida, I dont worry about freezing, but I did up North.

I figure that if it is high and there is a small leak, I can fix the leak, and just add water. To me this is link a cushion.

Comment

Working...
      X