X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CowboyPhD
    • Apr 2006

oil drip

I have a pretty steady oil drip from the "oil seal".? Sorry, I bought the Moyer S&O-haul manual, but can't find a picture with the correct term. It's dripping at the round plate that the prop shaft goes through at the aft of the engine. (oil seal retaining flange?) Is there a kit, or could you recommend a "set" of things to replace all at the same time? I see a bunch of different "oil seals" and gaskets in the catalog, but am not sure which ones to get. -I have a late model. Thanks in advance. (Sorry for lack of proper vocabulary.)
  • CowboyPhD
    • Apr 2006

Ps-

Are there any other "oil leak" seals and/or gaskets I can replace while I'm in there? (Without too much disassembly- i.e. reversing gear cover gasket, which I plan to replace too.)

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Other than the reversing gear cover, I can't think of anything else that would be convenient to replace while replacing the rear seal. I'm attaching a pdf file of other potential sources of oil leaks, although these sources are not necessarily related to the work you'll be doing around the rear seal.

Don
      Attached Files

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

If you have a direct drive engine, you will need the seal with a product number of OREV_04_120 in our online catalog. If you have a 2 to 1 gear reduction unit, you'll need the seal directly below the one for direct drive. The easiest way to be sure if you have a direct drive or a 2 to 1 reduction unit is to look at the output coupling. Direct drive engines have three-bolt output couplings and gear reduction units have four-bolt output couplings.

I'm attaching a rather detailed set of instructions for replacing a rear seal on a direct drive engine, which should give you a good idea of what's involved. If you have a 2 to 1 gear reduction, we ought to talk some more since changing them is a bit more problematic.

Don
        Attached Files

Comment

• Don Moyer
          • Oct 2004

If you have a direct drive engine, you will need the seal with a product number of OREV_04_120 in our online catalog. If you have a 2 to 1 gear reduction unit, you'll need the seal directly below the one for direct drive. The easiest way to be sure if you have a direct drive or a 2 to 1 reduction unit is to look at the output coupling. Direct drive engines have three-bolt output couplings and gear reduction units have four-bolt output couplings.

I'm attaching a rather detailed set of instructions for replacing a rear seal on a direct drive engine, which should give you a good idea of what's involved. If you have a 2 to 1 gear reduction, we ought to talk some more since changing them is a bit more problematic.

Don

Comment

Working...
          X