X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • prstack7
    • Aug 2011

reverse collar slippage

Recently I lost all reverse. I tightened the collar and gained reverse again, but then after a few weeks, no reverse. Is there a way to "hold" the collar after I tighten it? Why would it slip?
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

7, are you saying you have no reverse or it is slipping in reverse? I could be he linkage and often is!
    Remember reverse is accomplished by "holding" it engaged where in forward it locks in place with the detent.
    No real sure of he question.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

There's a brittle spring clip that's intended to keep the adjustment nut from moving. Sounds to me like yours has broken away. If this is the case, at this time they are not available.

It happened to me on my project engine. I looked at the clip crosseyed and it broke. It still had one of the two legs remaining, the MMI manual says it will continue to function that way but that wouldn't do for me. I ended up making a replacement out of 0.091" spring steel music wire.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ndutton; 10-10-2014, 08:55 AM.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

There has to be a better way than that spring wire clip Neil...I see another "wish list" product in the making!

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I don't have a problem with the clip design but you're right, there's more than one way to skin a cat. It took me three iterations before I was able to produce a replacement clip. The first one I didn't get the bends tight enough and the symmetry was way off. The second turned out excellent but broke upon installation. I believe my bench top heat treat process turned it as brittle as glass. The third, pictured previously, I eliminated the heat treat process and that's where we are.

My goal is to adjust the band without removing the clip. I want the clip springy enough to expand on the adjusting nut peaks and spring back to hold against the flats. With the Kaminski modification it makes reverse band adjustment a one hand operation.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• prstack7
            • Aug 2011

don't have one of those

I don't have one of those spring clips. There is nothing to hold the nut from loosening. However, when I adjusted the forward collar and brake band this spring, the band held for months. It's only recently that the band has loosened.

Comment

• Don Moyer
              • Oct 2004

Neil is correct in pointing out that adjustment of the 3/4" nut is intended to be made with the spring in place. Also, in my experience, if you do have to remove one of these springs for any reason, they are very prone to break during the installation process unless you hold the retaining bolt from turning (even a little bit) with one wrench while tightening the nut on the other end of the bolt. Don

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Don,
                Do you think a flat washer between the bolt head and the spring clip would make breakage a little less likely?
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• Don Moyer
                  • Oct 2004

You would think so Neil, but Universal's (somewhat unlikely) configuration was to use a lock washer between the head of the bolt and the spring and nothing under the nut on the other end of the bolt. I always dutifully (OK, blindly?) followed their lead and never broke another spring. That said, I have to believe that a flat washer would work just as well. Don

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

I'm thinking narrow shoulder flat washer on the spring, split lock washer under the nut on the back side, slightly longer mounting bolt.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• Don Moyer
                      • Oct 2004

Sounds like that should work fine. But again, be sure to hold the bolt firmly as you tighten the nut. Don

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Got it. No motion allowed on the spring clip side, compression only.

Thanks
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2008

I was thinking along the lines of a stainless spring ball plunger held in place by the current wire spring bolt indexing on a stainless 3/4" hex bolt with an integral indexing collar (the collar would have the index holes drilled in the side as opposed to the photo which shows the index holes drilled in the flat).

Attached Files

Comment

• prstack7
                            • Aug 2011

I do have one of those clips

I'm glad I've given occasion to think about the brake band nut and the clip. After more careful inspection, I discovered I do have an intact clip. I suppose I didn't notice it before because I wasn't looking. Also, I noticed that the brake band does hold in reverse quite well. No need to tighten the nut. This brings me to the conclusion that the problem is in my pedestal linkage to the shifting cable. I don't know why this problem would be intermittent.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Dec 2008

I found a spring that may solve the adjuster breakage issue - from a Norton Commando gearbox...this one won't break but it looks like a collar would be required to center it to the fixing bolt.

The spring in question is the middle spring of the three in the kit.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X