X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgraham49
    • Jan 2010

High Oil Pressure - I think

Changed oil (1st time with Moyer sump scavenger line). Replaced with 30W, ND. Oil pressure seems to be higher than before (40 at idle, 60+ running rpms up at dock). Hate to admit, not sure what it was before, but always close to this. this, never thought about to much pressure until read manual in last 6 months.

Have manual oil pressure gauge, factory, not electric sender and readout (little copper line from one to another). Should I adjust down oil pressure down, or should I first get a test oil pressure gauge to make sure reading is correct. Readings are consistent over several months, but have not run boat out of slip over winter. Might it be my gauge rather than actual pressure? Doesn't seem like gauge would be high, only low.

So (1) take boat out and run it before adjustment to see if pressure stays high? (2) get screw in gauge and test with different gauge first? OR (3) adjust oil pressure adjustment down first (and should I order the washer before I try to adjust, just in case)?

My thanks to all, I read every post I could find before I posted this.
  • MikeB.330
    • Jun 2006

Your numbers should be fine. I bet that you will be down to around 40 psi at your favorite cruise rpm once you have fully warmed up the engine. Keep in mind that it takes at least an hour under load to get her fully warmed up.

My start up pressures are about the same as yours. Once fully warmed up I end up with 20 pound at idle in gear and 40 pounds at 1800-1900 rpm.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeB.330; 03-29-2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X