• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kdlong3
    Frequent Contributor
    • Nov 2009

Corroded Points

I recently had a shutdown and diagnosted the problem as corroded points. While back at the dock I replaced the points and plugs, problem solved. However, it would be great to know how to fix this problem if it ever happens again in the middle of the bay. Can anyone describe the process of cleaning the points (with fine sandpaper) so I can get her back top the dock if this happens again.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Emery board!

kd, get a womens metal type emery board for fingernails not the type that looks like a file but the metal bonded type, it will last a long long time. OR a flat "jewlers file" which will eventually become dull. OR best go electronic and forget about anything except a catastrophic failure of the electronics, then you can use the points you removed as a back up. The electronic set up is worth the time and money, I've been using one for 26 years now on my A-4.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• keelcooler
      • Oct 2008

I second, go electric. Had the same problem, for what ever reason I think our distributors promote condensation inside. It is fitted w/a vent hole but that does not prevent inside moisture on my cap and plate.

Comment

• ghaegele
        • Jul 2006

I concur. Install the electronic ignition and never worry about points again. But a nail file or a small piece of 220 grit sandpaper folded over works fine. Crank the engine until the points are closed. Open them with your finger, insert the paper or file and move up and down a few times. (Q: Why are your points getting corroded?)

Comment

• Mark S
          • Sep 2008

Me, too. Electronic gives a precisely timed and uniform spark each time every time, and makes everything downstream from it work better and last longer.

Mark

Comment

• MikeB.330
            • Jun 2006

many years ago I used the strike pad on a book of matches to clean the points.. That was maybe 23 yrs ago when I was in high school... lol

mike

Comment

Working...
            X