• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

First time out since 1985

Well I got down and finally pulled(had it pulled) the boat out of the water for the first time since I've owned it(2008). Also, it is the first time for the boat on the hard since 1985. The bottom was maintained at low-tide by the PO all these years.
    I found out why the cooling water was slowing down. I just wasn't getting the volume I was used to. Plugged up intake. See pics

I pressure-washed the boat for twenty minutes right after it got to the yard and it came amazingly clean. It had never been touched since June 2008!
    The paint: Petit Trinidad is all I know. Must be some good stuff!
    And look at that cockpit drain! A gate valve! Guess what I'll be doing to the boat next spring?

Al tucked away for the winter now,

Stay warm all,
    Russ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lat 64; 11-06-2014, 03:11 AM. Reason: 2008
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  • Bingy
    • Sep 2011

Not A4 related but wondered when was the last time the mast was removed.

Comment

• Skywalker
      • Jan 2012

Since 1985!!!

I guess you can feel pretty confident you won't get any blisters!

She did clean up very well indeed.

Good luck with your offseason projects. Here's hoping you can go another 30 years between haul outs!

Skywalker

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Russ, since you go so long between haulouts...maybe remove that "strainer" on the hull, and just have a thru-hull..then, put a canister style strainer in the boat somewhere, between the water pump and thru-hull.

I have a cheap-o plastic one from BoaterBits in Canada, that has served me well..of course there are nice high-$$ bronze Groco and others available too.

The Trinidad is good stuff. I have a buddy that I think is on season four...he does dive on his boat regularly though.

Looking good for 6 years in the water.

So, how did the PO do the bottom?? Run it aground and prop it up so it wouldn't fall over?
        Last edited by sastanley; 11-06-2014, 10:03 AM. Reason: typos
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

My interpretation was this was the first winter dry storage since '85, not the first haulout. 29 years with Pettit Trinidad? It's good stuff but not that good.

Russ, according to my diver Pettit Trinidad red outperforms blue by far. He can't explain why but it's still the truth.

That external thru hull strainer has to go.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

Bingy,
            I think the rig is original. Mast is deck stepped—I don't think it's ever been down.

Sky,
            No blisters yet that I have found, but then it snowed six inches the next day and I just wasn't into looking close. 1968 boat.

Shawn, Neil,
            I never even knew there was an external strainer. I have the good Raritan plastic model on my intake line.
            I'm going with Compass Marine's "best Practices" and replace all the seacocks and funky stuff from the ol' gal. Five seacocks and through-hulls to buy. I'm going to smash the piggy bank for this one.

The first two pics in this post tell the story of how the PO touched up the bottom paint. You need a really low tide to do this. I think he said he did this at least every two years. So yea, underwater painting! I did not take these pics, They were from just before I bought the boat. I hope the rudder was not really supporting it!
            I only took the last pic of the boat in the yard last week. As for the rudder, It swings nice and is not bent. I tried to drop it, but the boat is on a concrete pad now and I could not dig a small pit to let it drop all the way out. I need to repair a crack in the top. I'll just do a fill patch this spring and then next fall I'll have the yard leave the stern out over the dirt so I can dig that pit and drop it to do a better fix.
            Note: The wrinkle in the closeup is on the paper photo—not the keel!. And check out that old knotmeter paddlewheel. A vintage Kenyon. That goes away too.

Moyer Marine will some of my business too this winter as I pile up parts to get ready for a flurry of repairs in April or May.

Rus
            Attached Files
            Last edited by lat 64; 11-06-2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

FYI, blisters didn't emerge until a government imposed resin reformulation occurred in about late '73 ~ early '74. The reformulation was forced on the industry and we couldn't do a thing about it other than PAY for warranty repairs through the nose. Thanks a lot. As I think about it I'd consider it yet another financial factor leading to the demise of a previously vibrant industry. All the internet 'experts' never make the correlation do they? Your 1968 boat will likely never see a blister and if she does it will be an isolated case, not the common leprosy pox.

The exact same thing happened to fiberglass hot tubs popular at the time.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Nov 2008

Russ
                If the boat is going to be moved by a lift, and you know you need to drop the rudder, drop the rudder while it is in the lift. It's easy to do.
                Ditto for the reinstall.
                Maybe you can sweet talk the yard into lifting the the boat so you can drop the rudder now and and reinstall when you go back in the water. If you can't sweet talk 'em money speaks.

TRUE GRIT

Edit: On second thought it looks too damm cold. 'Fraid I'm in a California mind frame.
                Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 11-06-2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

wow, when you are used to 12-18" tides...

Great pics, Russ..I guess he just slid it down the pilings!

I have been very happy with my marelon seacocks (installed 2009). They are much cheaper/lighter than heavy bronze, and seem to perform just fine.

I probably have some pics over in my first long thread, "old boat, new owner.."
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• lat 64
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2008

This yard does not use a lift. They have three big trailers with hydraulic arms to match the hull shape for each boat.

Pretty sllck. It just goes up a big ramp like a ski boat on Sunday evening.
                    The boat goes like that to the yard about two miles away on the road
                    They have go on the airport taxiway to get around powerlines. They do this often and are good at it. Great bunch of guys, good yard.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2008

Get rid of the strainer - they do nothing but cut off the water supply as they foul...which you know well by now.

I had the same gate valves and setup in my 1967 C&C Corvette - I must admit that when I replaced them the wooden backing plate (which is molded into the F/G) was bone dry and still capable of supporting the new backing plate!

C&C made their boats pretty solid in those days.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                        This yard does not use a lift. They have three big trailers with hydraulic arms to match the hull shape for each boat.
                        Pretty sllck. It just goes up a big ramp like a ski boat on Sunday evening.
                        The boat goes like that to the yard about two miles away on the road
                        They have go on the airport taxiway to get around powerlines. They do this often and are good at it. Great bunch of guys, good yard.
                        For my edification......

How do they get the boat from the trailer to the hard so it can be supported by jack stands?
                        How do they load the boat back onto the trailed for launch?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Antibes
                          • Jun 2011

The arms on that trailer each have hydraulic arms that can be raised and lowered. They pull the boat to the yard raise it up to where they want it and throw in the Jack stands as they pull the trailer out. Reverse the process when launching. My yard does the same except they use a construction crane to load them onto the trailer because there is no ramp from the water.

Comment

• lat 64
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2008

Yep. What he said.

No cranes. The other big yard with the commercial fishing boats has a travel lift, but it is situated in place that's a bit of a pucker for guys like me.
                            This was so much better.
                            It's really low stress. No dramas. Just two guys and a truck and trailer. They did let me hold the dock lines to keep me out of the way. No yelling, a few jokes now and then, but serious work done safely. They backed in and I floated the boat over the trailer and they raised up the arms to meet the hull shape. It took a few tries to set the arms right because they wanted it to be perfectly centered.

I highly recommend this way to haul out.

Rus

Comment

• Antibes
                              • Jun 2011

Rus:

If they are still pulling boats in your yard and the trailer is going to be by your boat, I would see if they could raise it up so you could pull the rudder and do it at home once and right. I wish that's the route chosen in the beginning with mine

Comment

Working...
                              X