X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smp
    • Dec 2011

Loss of thrust, no loss of RPM, sudden

Hi all. I've been motoring, motor sailing and sailing across Lake Ontario the past three days and all has been well with the A4. I had put a new coil, wires, plugs, distro cap, rotor, points and condenser, racor filter, polishing filter and all fuel lines .. all over the past year (not all at once). The motor has always run good and after the ignition system refresh which is what happened before this trip it's been running really well.

Today however ... motoring along at 5.5 knots which is my "good mileage" speed there was a stutter and it sounded liked the rpms dropped a bit. Upping the throttle resulted in higher revs but not a lot more thrust. I couldn't get it over 4 knots without really opening it up and I didn't want to do that not knowing what was wrong.

We nursed the boat to our destination, motorsailing in light air doing about 4 knots with the headsail out. When we got to the dock I banged it into reverse and gave it a nice jab of throttle and it suddenly felt like it really dug in as per usual. But now I'm tied up and it's been a long day of sailing and I wasn't leaving the dock again tonight.

What are the chances that this is just a fouled prop? Fishing net or something? This was my "it's usually a simple thing" hypothesis that I worked out before getting to the dock. Giving it that burst of high RPM reverse flung whatever was on there off maybe?

please oh please something simple.
    I'm just hoping someone else has had this experience. Again, engine revs as usual, sounds as usual .. just no power.

Oh, to rule out a carb problem, which I'm skeptical on anyway because there is no change in RPM, no bogging, choking, hesitation etc I pulled out the choke slowly to see what would happen .. what I would expect happened, the exhaust smelled strongly of gasoline and the motor threatened to stall out. So, no carb problem likely?
    Last edited by smp; 07-18-2014, 10:36 PM.
    -Steve

Suhana, C&C 32
    Toronto
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

As I was reading, I thought the same thing. Fouled prop

Either that, or you hit some heavy water.
    Last edited by romantic comedy; 07-18-2014, 11:25 PM. Reason: levity

Comment

• Bingy
      • Sep 2011

If water is warm enough go for a swim to confirm prop is clear.:-)
      :-

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Sounds like you picked up something on the prop...if the engine is running smoothly as you describe that's likely the culprit...just some floating weeds is enough to make a difference.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

If a fouled prop was the case, reverse operation may have cleared it.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

MASK wet not you

I agree, don't get wet! Stick the mask on and just dunk yer head in for a look if the water is clear. If you see anything on the prop get wet or call a diver.

I sail in an area of lots of kelp, so when running at night I don't always see a ball of kelp in the water. When I hit one it is just as you describe, however the first thing I do is slow and then go back and for the between forward and neutral applying a bit of throttle when in forward and reverse!!! Then I am on my way. Sometimes it takes a while to completely clear if it is a tougher variety of seaweed. If you got a net or something similar you may need to cut it loose.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• edwardc
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2009

Another +1 on a fouled prop. The exact same thing happened to us last year in the middle of a 2-week trip. It was sea grass in our case. Backing cleared some of it, but I had to dive on the prop to get it all.

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
              I agree, don't get wet! Stick the mask on and just dunk yer head in for a look if the water is clear. ...
              That might work for you west coast guys, but here in the muddy Chesapeake, on a good day our visibility is only about 6 inches!
              @(^.^)@ Ed
              1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
              with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• smp
                • Dec 2011

Thanks all. That blast in reverse cleared it last night getting into that slip. I had the thought while nursing the boat along last night but have never dealt with a fouled prop and imagined a piece of rope or something just waiting to seize the shaft. No problem! Didn't even get wet enjoying a lovely anchorage in the Thousand Islands right now. Cheers
                -Steve

Suhana, C&C 32
                Toronto

Comment

Working...
                X