• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anglosax
    • Oct 2006

Helicoils in block

Hi Don et Al ,
    For my sins I have been handed another late model A4 in pieces. The prevoius owner stripped the top end for what appears to be blown head gaskets.
    While cleaning the block I noticed what I believe to be helicoil inserts on several head studs. Now I know Don frowns on these [for sealing reasons] but 2 in particular are 1/16 in proud of the block surface - just enough to make me wonder if they will intefere with head gasket sealing .
    My instinct is to carefully file them down and hope for the best, or what????
    all ideas welcome
    Its a boat... what can possibly go wrong.....?
  • Chip Hindes
    • Aug 2007

If they are in fact Helicoils or some similar clone, there's little chance you can just "file them down". A Helicol is nothing more than a tightly coiled spring, and there's no substance to any portion of one which is hanging out past the block surface. Besides they are hardened SS and a file won't touch them. You may be able to grind them off with a Dremel or similar, but I wouldn't count on it.

You'd be better off simply grabbing the exposed part with a pair of vise grips and pulling it out in one long string, then replacing it with a new, properly installed one. I don't recommend this, though. With the head off it's way better to install repair bushings.
    Chip Hindes
    '74 Newport 30' S/V "Scarlett"

Comment

• anglosax
      • Oct 2006

Yes you are right, the ultimate fix is new inserts , but this engine is such an unkmown qualtity that I will throw it back together just to see what else we have to do - i have no reliable history
      Its a boat... what can possibly go wrong.....?

Comment

Working...
      X