X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike7a10
    • Apr 2005

No Thermostat Action

I discovered that my temperature gauge was not registering this weekend. Checked all the leads, etc. and discovered that the thermostat was virtually cold to the touch even though I had been motoring in 3' seas and had run the engine at full throttle for a while.

I (after reading your manual...it is a life saver) pulled the thermostat off and found quite a bit of junk in the thermostat housing and assembly. Soaked it overnight in vinegar, cleaned and replaced it. Unfortunately the problem is not fixed and the same thing is happening.

I did not put the thermostat in hot water before replacing to see if the thermostat would open at 150 degrees as I assumed it was clogged by the junk in the thermostat...by the way...my thermostat looks different than the newer ones (I have the newer model A4). My thermostat has 3 springs that are holding the assembly in place.

Before I pull the thermostat again I saw that one of the possible problems is corrosion in the thermostat seat and that a spacer may solve the problem. Bottom line...what is the greater likelyhood? The thermostat needing replacement or I a spacer? Could there be a restriction elsewhere in the thermostat system? Would a flush with muratic acid, etc. maybe solve this problem also? Thanks in advance! Mike

PS...what could happen if I ignore this problem and go sailing for a weekend and use the motor?
    Last edited by mike7a10; 09-06-2005, 06:41 PM.
Working...
X