• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ColeHarmening
    • Apr 2020

Neutral - Prop still turning forward slightly

Hello,

I noticed that when I shift my transmission control (old style levers in the cockpit) to the idle position 180 degrees from the floor straight up my prop shaft is still spinning slowly in forward. I have to move the shifter back about 40 degrees to get the prop shaft to stop and perform a proper idle position. Do I have a problem with my transmission? Or is it normal to be in idle and have your prop shaft still spinning slowly in forward. See video for better details. Frame 1 is with the lever in idle you can note the prop shaft spinning in forward considerably. About 12 seconds into the video I shift towards reverse about 40 degrees with my lever and the prop goes almost to a dead stop. This position isn't in reverse yet. I can whip the lever back another 10 degrees and it will pop back into reverse.

• C&C32
    • Oct 2020

Mine is the same. So wondering the same thing.
    Sometimes I end up putting the gear selector slightly in reverse position to put it in true neutral.
    Looking forward to the responses.

Comment

• Surcouf
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2018

mine was turning VERY slowly when handle was vertical, never bothered me. I get in reverse holding handle around 40° (Catalina 27)

A few posts on how to tune the transmission (non Z-drive)

Surcouf
      A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

What you need to do is find where the handle sits when the shaft does not turn, that is neutral. The adjusting of the trans is to insure the detent in forward is functional and reverse is good "WHEN APPLYING PRESSURE TO THE SHIFTER" as there is no means to lock the reversing gear in reverse.
        Also that it turns is a sign that the shaft log seal is adjusted nicely if it just drips a little.
        It is just the friction of the spinning engine that turns the shaft as the clutches are suspended in oil so there is a liquid friction applying the twist IE normal.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ColeHarmening
          • Apr 2020

Thank you all for the responses. I am fine with the way its setup now and will leave it. I don't know too much about the transmission and gear shifting mechanism in my A4 so the intent of my post was to see if this is a precursor to a potential issue. Sounds like Im all in the clear!

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

There is no specific 'neutral', just the place between forward and wherever reverse starts.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

The spot where mine stops spinning the prop is already starting to make a little tiny bit of whine, making me think I am in reverse. If I don't hear that, I know the shaft is still spinning slowly forward. Each setup is going to be unique based on the length of the cable and cable jacket.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• DDO
                • Dec 2010

I'm thinking you may have the vintage Morse side-mount sail controls with a Morse cable? I have a little arrow made of red tape that points out "neutral" and every spring or so I adjust where it is stuck. Those controls have no reverse detent with A4; I thought it was perfectly normal to hold reverse with your leg, and use a bit of tape to mark neutral...

Comment

Working...
                X