• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herman Boermans
    Frequent Contributor
    • Sep 2007

Water in piston 4

Hello everyone
    I am a first timer in the forum and would like some suggestions on my problem. I should say I have limited mechanical knowledge (I’m in medicine SO have little training except heart valves) but have searched for lots of help.
    Well my problem with my late model 1973 Atomic 4 in a Grampian 30 started in August when after having starting problems my engine began to run very rough. Engine has always run well, been taken care of and uses no oil. Changed sparkplugs (3 & 4 very sooty), wires, points ext. which improved situation temporarily but soon problem returned. On retuning from a trip also found oil in bilge (had rough weather and used engine, but determined (hopefully correctly) oil was coming from leaky gasket in old not used manual gas pump. No water in oil. On removing the spark plugs and checking compression found water in 3 and 4 but compression both normal (115 and 120). From reading decided likely head gasket (old asbestos type) so ordered new gasket set. Replaced head gasket and fuel pump gasket. Did not remove manifold as work was done in boat and have limited space. Could not see any obvious source of water from gasket damage but had a lot of water in exhaust valve. Also lots of soot on pistons 3 and 4 but everything else seemed OK. The replacement gasket was a Westabrook single gasket which stated "this single gasket replaced the need for a double gasket". Is this true or do you agree? Also I put in an anti-siphon to make sure.
    Well took boat out for a ride seemed to be a bit noisy but had power and ran for 1 hour even at hull speed for short time. Took out spark plugs and 3 and 4 were very sooty and water still coming from piston 4. Compression was around 130 in all four. Am starting to take engine apart and have found a broken spring in exhaust valve but on piston 1 and the idler bearing a bit loose. This could have been the cause of some of the noise?
    No obvious problems on my search so far but water in exhaust valve 4. Should I start by having head checked (engine head that is)? Do you have any suggestions on cause or just do complete overhaul at this point and ??
    Herman
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Herman,

Congratulations on some good troubleshooting and remedial work. Here are a couple comments on your situation:

A broken valve spring is a fairly normal occurrence in the aftermath of water intrusion into one or more combustion chambers, and this could easily explain a "clattering" type of noise, as well as poor performance.

The most urgent issue at the moment is to discover how the water is getting into your fourth cylinder, so I'm attaching a technical note we prepared on the subject of water entering combustion chambers which may help you in that regard.

Worn idler gear bearings and spindles are quite common, and I don't believe your idler gear is contributing to your problem.

Regards,

Don
    Attached Files

Comment

• Herman Boermans
      Frequent Contributor
      • Sep 2007

Head Gasket

Thanks for your quick response and I hope I can be as fast at investigating my problem of water in piston 4.
      At this time as I am getting a list of things to purchase the question of my head gasket comes up. The replacement gasket was a Westabrook single gasket which stated "this single gasket replaced the need for a double gasket".
      Is this true or do you disagree as your site still recommends two head gaskets?
      Also was this the cause of my increase compression? Compression was around 130 in all four.
      Herman

Comment

Working...
      X