X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bbell
    • Apr 2017

Mercury 115 elpto starting problem

Hi, new to this forum and really hoping someone can help me with my problem. I have a 1995 Mercury 115 elpto. I bought it last sumer to put on a walleye project boat I've been building. Guy I got it from told me it needs two battery's to start it. So first things first, I had the starter rebuild. It then would still not start without two battery's. Jump to this spring, when the boat is finally ready to hit the water, and boom same deal only now, it won't even start with two battery's. Wub wub wub turns over fine, but will not "CRANK" like it should. I've now replaced the battery cables, terminals, and cleaned every contact point on the starter, battery's, and solenoid but with no luck. Same deal. Put a rope around the fly wheel and give it a pull when you crank the key and she will crank and crank. And start right up, but not without that extra help. Oh, and both my battery's were new last Aug. Thanks for reading and thanks for any help anyone can give.
  • Hawkeye54
    • Mar 2017

Bbell, I am new here, too - Being curious about this situation, I Googled this condition and
    it looks as if the first recommendation (to replace the vertical mount starter) has already been done -- Others with more information should be along with their input.

Rick

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Bbell, I had a couple of Mercury OB's over the years two were 115's inline and a few V-6''s. I have never heard of the trouble you are having. The very first thing I would do is test the armature of the starter at this point. The starter may spin but that does not mean that "every" magnetic field around the armature is getting current!!! A good auto electric should be able to test it for you.

Note many US OB starters are Prestolite or Delco. I had a few starter numbers that I could order from an auto parts house with the part number on the starter.

Did you every just try to use a pair of jumper cables directly to the starter to see if she spins? The starters should be able to start if the battery (a single one) is even at 50% charge. The OB engines spin fairly easy as they are small and 2 strokes.

I do believe your starter is toast from your information.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I agree, start with the simple things and proceed from there and don't assume something's good just because it's not that old. Take your battery comment for example, batteries being new doesn't necessarily mean they're properly charged.

I did a little research and learned this engine is a 2+2, that is it runs on two cylinders at idle and low RPM, kicks in all four at higher RPM. Assuming it starts on two I wonder if the cylinder management system is releasing compression on the unused two (and if it's even supposed to) during starting. I admit it's a stretch.

Do you have a good engine manual for reference?
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Check the ground side for resistance with an ohm meter, starter motor->battery.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

Working...
          X