"Easyserts" in water jacket side plate holes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

"Easyserts" in water jacket side plate holes.

Hi Don,

Can you tell me what the largest diameter thread is that can be drilled and tapped in the water jacket sideplate bolt holes?

I have been thinking about using an internally threaded product called an "easysert" which can be installed in a tapped and threaded hole. They come pre-coated on the outside threads with a loctite sealant activated when they are threaded into the newly tapped hole and they are also available in 303 'passivated' S/S.

The 5/16" internally threaded "easysert" requires a 1/2" 13tpi hole - is this too big for the material available in the block water jacket holes?

If 5/16" is too large then I could go down to 1/4" and use a step shouldered bolt - the 1/4" "easysert" requires a 7/16" 14tpi threaded hole.

Cheers!
    Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 03-12-2009, 01:08 AM.
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

By the time the threads around the water jacket side-plate opening are in trouble, repair bushings with an outside diameter of 1/2" are usually not a good choice (simply not enough good metal remaining around the bolt holes), and if you have to drop down to 3/8", you might as well use 3/8" bolts.

For what it's worth, you're going down a road we have traveled many times in the past, and which has lead to the design of the repair kits in our catalog. We do still stock a 5/16" by 7/16" repair bushing for the occasional time (mostly during a major overhaul) when 7 of the 8 holes are in really good condition and you have unlimited access to do the work of installing a repair bushing in the 8th. For on-boat work, there is frequently insufficient access to do a good (and safe) job of rethreading the defective hole.

Don

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Thanks Don - looks like I will be getting a full kit soon as I am missing one bolt on my water jacket side plate already (pin hole water leak when warmed up) and I don't think the others will come off without breaking.

Comment

Working...
      X