No water at all in bilge.
    Does anyone have any idea?
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

All Catalina 30's list to port because:
    • Galleys weigh more than berths
    • Heads weigh more than berths
    • The footpath through the boat where there is no furniture, no gear, no nuthin' is starboard of the centerline
    • The cavernous sail bin under the port cockpit seat is usually filled with gear
    • The shelf behind the dinette is the only one wide enough for books
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Pgnorthatlantic
      • Jun 2016

I guess that solves it, guess I'll stop fretting. Thanks Cap.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

You can help by relocating heavier items and stores to the stbd side. Under the chart table is a good place for batteries. They're heavy and useful. I keep my engine spares under the stbd berth (starter, alternator). They're not much but everything helps. The bottom half of my port cockpit sail bin is a 25 gallon wedge shaped fuel tank, usually kept empty so that's lighter than a metric ton of stuff down there. I have refrigeration meaning no block of ice on the port side. With all that my port list is barely noticeable.

Did I mention my liquor stores are on the stbd side? On second thought, forget I said that.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Neil is absolutely correct as to why...So we all have our own adjustments to 'help' with the problem..

Liquor stores, under the chart table...batteries relocated to stbd settee..always run the port water tank dry first (my water tanks are under port and stbd settees, I used the bow tank under the v-berth as the holding tank), and I also try to store other stuff that is heavy to stbd.

I don't have refrigeration, but we carry a 5 day cooler over the bilge, and use the "ice-box" for lightweight dry storage...mostly because of lots of light-air motoring on the Chesapeake and the exhaust hose goes between the hull and ice box on the port side, eating ice.

I also try to avoid stuffing sails in the port locker and try to fill it with light stuff like fenders, and use the quarterberth for sails..unless we are on a long cruise and the sails get moved to the 'sail locker' for additional space down below.

Neil, I'd like to see a pic of your wedge fuel tank some day. That locker is so deep that letting stuff settle all the way to the bottom is troublesome to retrieve! I'd love an excuse to make it shallower. I need a wedge shaped beer cooler!!
          Last edited by sastanley; 12-03-2016, 12:26 AM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• Marian Claire
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2007

I was dealing with a list to port and a low stern after some modifications I did to the MC. I was on the marina's work float checking the water line when a portly friend of mine walked by and I saw my opportunity. I asked him to step aboard and I directed him to move around till we found the spot that got the water line as I wanted. Then came the tricky part.
            "Friend how much do you weigh?"
            He gave me an honest answer and by moving half that weight forward/starboard and close to the "spot" the MC was in better trim.
            Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

I think I remember something vaguely similar to a sash weight, but designed for this purpose and intended to be attached to the toe rail bolts on the inside of the cabin.

Bill

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                I think I remember something vaguely similar to a sash weight, but designed for this purpose and intended to be attached to the toe rail bolts on the inside of the cabin.

Bill
                You're right Bill, a lot of boats have trim ballast but if I were adding weight to the boat for trim purposes I'd prefer it to be useful rather than dead weight. Who wouldn't benefit from another battery, spare anchor, additional fuel or water?
                Last edited by ndutton; 12-03-2016, 09:12 PM.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• Pgnorthatlantic
                  • Jun 2016

Thanks Captains, for all this advice.

Im getting ready to put my Cat in slings to check the prop...Im hoping that it is simply a matter of severe barnacle growth that has caused my loss of rpm/power in forward gear.
                  Thank you all.

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                    • Nov 2004

Mystery List

I have a mystery list on our Tartan 27. The more I do on the list the longer it gets.
                    Marty
                    1967 Tartan 27
                    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Pgnorthatlantic
                      • Jun 2016

LoL!...lol

Comment

Working...
                      X