X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

It dawned on me in the middle of the night, normal price $500 for a 65A alternator? Sheesh
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      It dawned on me in the middle of the night, normal price $500 for a 65A alternator? Sheesh
      Yup
      This is *really* a case of YMMV. Heavy duty alternators in theory are vastly superior to auto alternators at the same output that will frequently die a quick death if actually asked to put out anywhere near full output for very long. Also all Balmars are approved for marine use.
      In practice it has not been universally true of every one of their models that they hold up at full blast and they are not the only people making heavy duty alternators either. I haven't been in the business for a while, so I can't tell you which ones are the best right now with the exception of Electrodyne, who make a great 300 amp or so 24 volt alternator that drives straight off the crank - no belt involved.
      EDIT - My particular Balmar is based on a Prestolite alternator, which my local alternator shop guy told me is much better built than the typical 10si knockoff FWIW.
      Last edited by joe_db; 08-04-2017, 12:29 PM.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Van_Isle
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
        The frustrating thing is the temp sensors are $1.00 parts welded/stuck/glued into a battery lug. We just have to find out which $1 part
        I replaced my old battery charger with a Pronautic that came with a temperature sensor. It really helps in the winter, summer charge voltages are too low for a 30 degree day.
        Ah but we do have a report of what is inside. It's supposed to be a LM235 ... might be LM235H or LM235AH or something similar (I haven't quite sorted it out yet). It's an analog temperature sensor, linear response from -40 to 125 degrees C, in a small metal can (a TO-92(3)), 4.3mm in diameter, with 3 pins. One pin is a 'calibrate', that gets trimmed off and the others are B+ and B- (return), in mV.

So the end of the can is glued / potted into a battery lug, and then shrink wrapped.

Canadian digikey website sells these at about $19 (CAD) each ... so I don't think the "$1 parts" is quite correct.

Info comes from here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-184885.html and digikey's website and my email conversations with the creator of that thread.

I should note however, that I did not get an answer as to exactly how that particular model of sensor was determined.
        1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
        Cygnet
        North Saanich, BC

Comment

• Van_Isle
          • Sep 2012

I also just bought a Pronautic ... a 1230. Stirling makes an identical one also, but I paid a few $ more for the Pronautic since Stirling seems to be almost non-existent here in Canada. Anyway they also seem to be one of the lower-priced chargers available that you can set with a custom charging profile, instead of just pre-sets.
          1979 C&C 27 MkIII, Hull No. 780
          Cygnet
          North Saanich, BC

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Hmmm
            Always a Chinese knockoff to be found

Originally posted by Van_Isle View Post
            Ah but we do have a report of what is inside. It's supposed to be a ... might be LM235H or LM235AH or something similar (I haven't quite sorted it out yet). It's an analog temperature sensor, linear response from -40 to 125 degrees C, in a small metal can (a TO-92(3)), 4.3mm in diameter, with 3 pins. One pin is a 'calibrate', that gets trimmed off and the others are B+ and B- (return), in mV.

So the end of the can is glued / potted into a battery lug, and then shrink wrapped.

Canadian digikey website sells these at about $19 (CAD) each ... so I don't think the "$1 parts" is quite correct.

Info comes from here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-184885.html and digikey's website and my email conversations with the creator of that thread.

I should note however, that I did not get an answer as to exactly how that particular model of sensor was determined.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

My 1215 works very well
              I also just bought a Pronautic ... a 1230. Stirling makes an identical one also, but I paid a few $ more for the Pronautic since Stirling seems to be almost non-existent here in Canada. Anyway they also seem to be one of the lower-priced chargers available that you can set with a custom charging profile, instead of just pre-sets.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                Yup
                This is *really* a case of YMMV. Heavy duty alternators in theory are vastly superior to auto alternators at the same output that will frequently die a quick death if actually asked to put out anywhere near full output for very long.
                This is exactly why I've advocated for large capacity alternators. My 10Si was sold as a 100A but at our RPM range I never expected more than maybe 60% + out of it. That leaves a 40% margin beneath max output and it should be able to deliver that easily.

Compare what the same load would do to our stock Motorola 35A or an aftermarket 65A.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• tac
                  • Nov 2015

As implied in post 33, the Balmar temp sensors are thermistors,

The below link is apparently to an older manual for the Balmar temp sensors. Note the misspelling of "thermistor". The accompanying table should help in identifying the sensor, and in calibration.

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

That's one of the Harbor Freight models? How do you find the die-sizes?
                    Just did a test today. Instead of releasing the 4 gauge before full crimp, I tried a 2 gauge and it did a perfect octagonal crimp on the 4 gauge lug. I guess this means the 1 gauge does 2 gauge
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Balmar regulator:

$49.95 buy it now
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

OK, fifty bucks used but being a single stage reg it doesn't provide the multi-stage charging profile the internet 'experts' are pushing so hard, at least without manual manipulation of the voltage setting.

[over the top example warning]
                        It's reminiscent of the old ACR argument. The same 'experts' advocate for automatic combining relays because, as I interpret it, we lowly boat owners aren't able to manage it ourselves via manual switches. If we can't manage a battery switch how are we expected to manually manage 3 stage charging?
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Separated at birth?
                          $$$ Balmar

Or the $50 or so Transpo

I entertain myself finding out the source of "marine" parts
                          Last edited by joe_db; 08-08-2017, 10:36 AM.
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• Hawkeye54
                            • Mar 2017

Balmer Alternator installation and test

Joe, the only difference I can see on the Balmer device is a lug adjacent to the amber
                            LED

Rick

Comment

• joe_db
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

I think they add a stator-out to drive the tach.
                              Joe Della Barba
                              Coquina
                              C&C 35 MK I
                              Maryland USA

Comment

• Tim
                                • Jul 2005

Here is the Transpo V1300. It appears identical to the Balmar.
                                Attached Files
                                Pearson 10M
                                Gloucester, Va

Comment

Working...
                                X