X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RogerW
    • Jun 2010

RH prop with 2:1 reduction gear

Hi, I'm a new member with my first question. We just purchased a 1978 Pearson 31 with an Atomic 4. The boat has always been in freshwater and based on general appearances, the engine appears to be in good shape. The following question is one of the issues I have found while going over the boat with a fine-tooth comb.

The engine has a 2:1 reduction gear (bell-shaped housing). However, the boat has a RH (CW rotation as viewed from behind the boat) prop. According to:
    www.moyermarine.com/faq/11.24.html this is not the correct combination. Are there exceptions or do I have a new issue to deal with?

Thanks,

Roger
  • jayw
    • Feb 2007

I have an A4 with 2:1 reduction and the propeller turns the same way as yours.

Comment

• phorvati
      • Jan 2006

I have A4 with paragon 2:1 reduction gear and this www.moyermarine.com/faq/11.24.html puzzled me b/c my prop is RH three blade. I am sure of this as I had the prop re-pitched and balanced, when i was buying a new prop shaft.
      I also watched the shaft coupling as I slowly shift into forward. It spins the same was as the flywheel.

Does anyone know if there is an exception to this?
      Petar

Comment

• lat 64
        Afourian MVP
        • Oct 2008

Hey, Let start a 2:1 faction

This don't make sense to me neither
        I think the rotation is the same as the crank/flwheel on standard reduction A-4s. I don't know anything about vee-drives.
        The small gear is inside the big gear like a planetary gear–keeping the rotation the same direction.
        If it were on the outside, it would be reversing the rotation similar to the way the cam gear works.

Do I have this right? There is always room for self-doubt

Welcome roger,
        Russ
        Attached Files
        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
          ... I don't know anything about vee-drives...
          I have a V-drive. The gear is on the outside, reversing the rotation; HOWEVER, since the V-drive also reverses the fore-aft direction, this cancels it out, leaving you still with a RH prop. Mine is a 3-blade 15RH9.
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X