X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gregsails
    • Sep 2013

Tachometer install

Trying to add a new tach. The instructions say to hook one of the wires to the "W" on the alternator. I have an old school original 35 amp alternator but see nothing that says W. Anyone have any idea?
    Thanks
    Greg sail 696
    Attached Files
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

You have a "diesel" type tach not designed for a gas engine. That tach needs the sensor in a diesel style alternator to sense RPM's and would also need calibration.

A gas engine style tach uses the ignition spark for sensing RPM's.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• gregsails
      • Sep 2013

Ahhhh, well that's not good. Glad I didn't spend to much money. Thanks Dave.
      Greg

Comment

• gregsails
        • Sep 2013

Don't really need a tach. Just want one. Someone, not sure who on this site steered me to a inexpensive one that unfortunately got destroyed by the boom at the end of the season some years ago.
        Anyone know of any that work for gas that are not crazy expensive. I'm in Canada. By the time I would get the Moyer one, it would cost me over 250.00. I don't want one that bad
        THANKS
        GREG Sail 694

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by gregsails View Post
          Don't really need a tach. Just want one. Someone, not sure who on this site steered me to a inexpensive one that unfortunately got destroyed by the boom at the end of the season some years ago.
          Anyone know of any that work for gas that are not crazy expensive. I'm in Canada. By the time I would get the Moyer one, it would cost me over 250.00. I don't want one that bad
          THANKS
          GREG Sail 694
          You could go with Farias-Beede or Seastar or Sierra brands.

Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Jan 2007

Check in parts houses, Amazon if you have it in Canada or most any marine store. A cheap jippo one will work just fine. Also check the classifieds in your area. An automotive one will work fine for quite a few years in a marine environment. I used one on my boat mounted inside and it lasted 34 years for me and I'm sure the current owner is still using it. I did mount it in the cabin where I could see it from the cockpit. It was a mid range quality one from Stewart Warner. And it was a few years old when I mounted it.

When doing tuning I would sometimes switch it to 8 cyl for additional sensitivity.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

greg, I just had the VDO tach fail on my port engine. I got one like Dave describes on eBay for about $30 with an hour meter and multiple color LED backlight. It is not as sensitive, nor is the sweep as smooth as an analog tach, but after calibration (already had a handheld tach for fine tuning the A4) it does seem at least to read the correct RPM, so I am not tuning/syncing by ear.

It will do until I totally re-design the 1980's dashboard on my power boat.
              Attached Files
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

All may not be lost. My tach had settings for gas or diesel, either way it counts pulses or cycles.
                Hook it up and see if you get any reading. The wire that would go to the alternator goes to the coil negative. If it works at all, you may be able to calibrate it to the correct reading.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

FYI
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I