Is anyone using -4AN connectors in the fuel system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronstory
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2016

Is anyone using -4AN connectors in the fuel system?

When I drop the rebuilt "puzzle" engine back in, I'm going to pull the Monel tank and replace with plastic one so I never have to worry about dreaded and inevitable pin hole leak in the 46 year old tank.

While I'm doing all that, I would be easy to upgrade to the -AN style connectors and braided stainless line. What I like about the -AN connectors is that I can disconnect the hose without risking pulling the hose off the typical barb and possibly introduce 'hose bits' into the fuel.

Today I just leave the hoses long, and cut them off at the barb... but is looks sloppy. Plus, sometimes getting the old hose remnant off the barb is a PITA, and usually in a most inconvenient location.

Anybody else stoopid enough to do this?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Portland, OR
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Ron, I thought monel tanks were the holy grail, because the alloy is much less prone to spring a leak as compared to galvanized steel or aluminum.

I have never dealt with monel though, so I can only talk theory.

I have dealt with a leaky alum. tank and I have been happy with my Moeller HDPE tank!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• Sam
      Afourian MVP
      • Apr 2010

I have a 1966 Morgan 34 with the original monel alloy tank - going on 54 yrs old. The label just fell off and it was made by "Seafarer" in Penn. It is mounted under the cockpit above and slightly aft of the A4 with 4 metal straps. What may be unique by old Charlie Morgan is that there is 1/16 in gasket material between the straps and the tank eliminating dielectric action between different metals - not even sure this would be a big problem w/monel.

This tank is somewhat of an envy in the harbor where much newer boats with other metal tanks have had leaking problems, both gas and diesel, over time Old navy vets have told me monel is what was used on battle ships and carriers. Bottom line- I would not switch out unless it was leaking or you have to remove the engine for accesses and then I would still think more about it. Just be vigilant and pump out the bottom gallon or so of fuel once in a while to get accumulated condensation etc out of it. No need to promote a problem.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by ronstory View Post
        . . . . . . it would be easy to upgrade to the -AN style connectors and braided stainless line. What I like about the -AN connectors is that I can disconnect the hose without risking pulling the hose off the typical barb and possibly introduce 'hose bits' into the fuel.

Today I just leave the hoses long, and cut them off at the barb... but is looks sloppy. Plus, sometimes getting the old hose remnant off the barb is a PITA, and usually in a most inconvenient location.

I so agree with this so count me as one of the stupid. The only place I use such connectors is where I frequently disassemble the fuel line - the carburetor inlet for removal and cleaning/rebuilding which I do annually.

edit:
        As the pictures in the link show, I was referring to concept of mechanical connectors, not particularly the braided hose and AN fittings.
        Last edited by ndutton; 03-03-2020, 11:34 PM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

When I drop the rebuilt "puzzle" engine back in, I'm going to pull the Monel tank and replace with plastic one so I never have to worry about dreaded and inevitable pin hole leak in the 46 year old tank.

While I'm doing all that, I would be easy to upgrade to the -AN style connectors and braided stainless line. What I like about the -AN connectors is that I can disconnect the hose without risking pulling the hose off the typical barb and possibly introduce 'hose bits' into the fuel.

I was. I ended up throwing it all in the trash.
          Unless you buy top quality actual aircraft fuel line with fire sleeves, you are not anywhere near the safety level provided by real marine hose.
          Even if you don't care about fire safety, anything but the real deal expensive hose is prone to leaks. I found that out by accident while searching auto forums on tips to make up the hoses. Many a car builder had bough AN hose and found it sprouting numerous leaks eventually, kind of like a garden soaker hose
          So all the discount hose I got was off the boat soon after and I went back to USCG approved fuel hose. There IS such a thing as real marine hose that uses AN type fittings. It isn't easy to find nor is it cheap, but it is the only thing I would use were I to do that project again.

This is fire sleeve:

This is NOT fire resistant hose as-is:

Real marine fuel hose:
          Aeroquip FC234 hose is a high temperature fuel and oil hose. FC234 carries a USCG fuel rating making it perfect for any marine fuel hose application. In

Last edited by joe_db; 03-03-2020, 09:41 PM.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

I'll throw my $0.02 in here.
            Recommend you save the monel tank for when the plastic one develops a crack. I've heard of plenty of cracked plastic tanks, and these had WATER in them. You're going to take a plastic (what plastic?) tank and put aromatic hydrocarbons and alcohol in it? Right! What was that ditty Queeg in the movie Jaws sang about the shark cage?
            The stainless braid is pretty but doesn't hold fuel very well. What's inside it?
            Barb fittings cutting your hose? Take the edge off them! Put them in your drill press and take the sharp edges off the barbs. They'll still seal fine.

Comment

• ronstory
              Afourian MVP
              • Feb 2016

The Monel tank already has and issue with the previous owner and he had it removed and coated on the inside and that was about 15 years ago. Or that is what the PO said, but he was not very technical.

The 20 gallon tank I bought is this one. It fits well in the space, give me more room above for accessing the tank level sensor. Plus if I ever want more capacity they also have 27 gallon that is just longer, and only 3" longer than the existing tank.

Constructed from ultra tough cross-linked polyethylene, this low-profile fuel tank is designed for today's modern gas, diesel, and bio-fuel applications.

The fuel line I was looking was the teflon PTFE line that does not have permeability issue of the E85 with the rubber lines. That said, if there is a marine version of PTFE with those classly push on AN fittings, that would be prefect.
              Thanks,
              Ron
              Portland, OR

Comment

• ronstory
                Afourian MVP
                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                I so agree with this so count me as one of the stupid. The only place I use such connectors is where I frequently disassemble the fuel line - the carburetor inlet for removal and cleaning/rebuilding which I do annually.

edit:
                As the pictures in the link show, I was referring to concept of mechanical connectors, not particularly the braided hose and AN fittings.
                '

Neil--

WW, did you you use -4AN or -6AN on the carb? Either I think would be fine, but just curious.
                Thanks,
                Ron
                Portland, OR

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

I used fittings I had used many times in the past, fittings that had been trouble free.
                  FYI, ¼" flares, 45° SAE fittings.

I'm unfamiliar with the WW acronym you used. Worldwide? Weight Watchers? Wonder Woman?
                  Last edited by ndutton; 03-04-2020, 10:00 AM.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• ronstory
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Feb 2016

I

I'm unfamiliar with the WW acronym you used. Worldwide? Weight Watchers? Wonder Woman?
                    My bad, I meant to hit QQ (close to WW) for 'quick question'.
                    Thanks,
                    Ron
                    Portland, OR

Comment

• ronstory
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Feb 2016

What about the size of the fuel lines?

Ok, my boat has 3/8" from the tank to the Racor fuel/water separator with the 10 micron filter. Then is drops down to 5/16" the Racor to the Facet fuel pump and from the output of the Facet it's 1/4" to the metal inline polishing filter and then into the carb.

On a boat I've alway been a fan of the smallest fuel line to do the job and make the engine happy, incase you ever rupture a line. I'll need to run 3/8" from the new tank to the Racor since the output of the tank is 3/8", but was thinking of going 1/4" for everything downstream.

... or am I overthinking this? I have that affliction. (sigh)
                      Thanks,
                      Ron
                      Portland, OR

Comment

• ronstory
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
                        Barb fittings cutting your hose? Take the edge off them! Put them in your drill press and take the sharp edges off the barbs. They'll still seal fine.
                        Great idea! I have been looking for longer style barbs with the single rounded retention "bump" that you see on a metal inline fuel filter. But spinning them and knocking down the sharp ridges would be great workaround.
                        Thanks,
                        Ron
                        Portland, OR

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

My bad, I meant to hit QQ (close to WW) for 'quick question'.
                          Thank goodness. I was feeling pretty old being ignorant of the acronym not that I would have known QQ either.

I run ¼" hose throughout a dual tank fuel system with no issues. As for flow, my system ( Facet pump, Mercury style spin on filter) is capable of delivering 20 gallons an hour with this size hose. That is an actual measured rate, not calculated.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• ArtJ
                            • Sep 2009

edit:
                            Neil
                            These look like a great solution !!
                            Could you please if possible provide a link to a source with part numbers?
                            Thanks!

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

Sure Art. They're readily available but I sourced mine from McMaster-Carr. If considering the same, watch the package quantities. I have no problem with a personal inventory.

1/8" male pipe to 1/4" male flare (fits the carburetor inlet)
                              M-Carr 50635K373 pkg of 1

1/4" female flare swivel to 1/4" hose
                              M-Carr 53485K22 pkg of 5
                              Last edited by ndutton; 03-04-2020, 11:35 AM.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                              X