Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejay
    • Jul 2022

My theory is that even with the water intake shut off, over cranking the engine can create a siphon effect if there is enough water in the muffler, due to the absence of any elevated loop in the exhaust piping of the cat 30. Is that plausible?
    EJ
    78 Catalina 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Ejay, I don't see how cranking would create a syphon as cranking would be pumping air into the system creating pressure.

Check the plugs for moisture as it is something you suspect. Moisture can also encroach through a breach in the manifold, the head gasket or even a from a pinhole from a cylinder rusting through. Before searching you need to confirm if water is indeed encroaching the cylinder(s). Just look at the plugs after a bit of cranking, it is that simple.

Are you sure you did not move the plug wires since it last ran? A common mistake.

Did you try starting fluid? And are you sure you have spark to the plugs?

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ejay
        • Jul 2022

I ordered new plugs and I will pick up some starter fluid as well. I carefully labeled the plug wires and there is a new coil in place with good spark. I will try these new maneuvers this weekend.
        EJ
        78 Catalina 30

Comment

• ejay
          • Jul 2022

When the definitive history of the atomic 4 is written, my name will be listed as the stupidest owner ever. I was able to get the engine running with new plugs this weekend, and my conclusion was that I had a massive water incursion that required a lot of work to dry out. The carburetor was never the problem.

The stupid part is that I put the motor at increased risk for the incursion through a certain plumbing modification, that at the time seemed like brilliance, but in retrospect, was just plain idiocy.

I am now something of a carburetor and fuel line expert, thanks to the education I received from the A fourians on this site. I really appreciate the private tutoring from Dave Neptune.
          EJ
          78 Catalina 30

Comment

• TimBSmith
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2020

Private tutoring...

The moment Dave Neptune offers you his number is the moment thread should pause until a bracketed resolution is posted. Dude is iconic here.
            Tim Smith
            Oasis
            Pearson 30
            1974, Number 572
            Boston, MA USA

Comment

• ejay
              • Jul 2022

Final Update

I cleaned the carb this past weekend and I was able to clear a blockage in the idle jet with a bristle. The carb worked wonderfully and I have no problems with idle now! No more stalling at inopportune moments either.

Thanks so much for all the help!
              EJ
              78 Catalina 30

Comment

• capnward
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2012

Years back I had the same experience, no idle. The idle jet was partially blocked. Couldn't see it until I removed the idle jet and held it up to the light. Ran a bristle around in it. Blowing carb cleaner through it didn't work. A carb cleaning is incomplete without that procedure, IMO. Glad you could clear up what is a common problem.

Comment

Working...
                X