Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 69Cal230
    • Mar 2020

Hi all, just joined and I am so excited to get started. I purchased a 1969 Cal 2-30 and it came with an Atomic 4 engine which I intended to replace with electric propulsion. But after finding Moyer's marine forum site I decided to keep the engine and get it going. The he engine looks as if it was taken care of but the exhaust has rotted out which I removed. The boat is on the hard and I intend to do the oil change and preliminary maintenance to get it going. My question is can I replace the oil without starting the engine?
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

The poll is expired.

• Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

The only reason to start the engine is to warm up the oil so it pumps easier.
    To get the oil out, I (and many others) use one of those vacuum pumpout things. The suction tube goes right down the dipstick hole. A few strokes on the handle create a suction will pulls the oil into the container. It takes a while, but you're free to do something else - you don't have to keep pumping it.
    Once the oil is in the unit, take it off the boat to transfer it into disposal jugs. A few turns of the engine using the starter (enough to give you oil pressure) will move fresh oil to the bearings.

Comment

• ronstory
      Afourian MVP
      • Feb 2016

What Mr. Al just said. ;^)
      Thanks,
      Ron
      Portland, OR

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Nov 2008

I was never sure whether or not that the hose was curling inside the trany or was at the lowest point available in the trany when I did an oil change.
        I finally got a piece of copper tubing that fit down the dipstick hole, cut an X across the bottom, and attached the hose to it. Then I was sure I was pumping at the lowest point in the trany that I could get at from the dipstick hole.
        Don't know it was necessary. Made me feel better though.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          • Jan 2007

Al, I to made a 1/4" copper tube with a stop clamped in position to be sure the tube was on the bottom. Doing this I could get about 1/2 Qt+ more than I could with the soft tubing. Worked great!

Dave Neptune
          Last edited by Dave Neptune; 03-23-2020, 12:23 PM. Reason: numerical error

Comment

• 69Cal230
            • Mar 2020

I should have explained better, I can't start the engine that's why I am looking to change the oil as it stands. Is there a chance I can still extract the cold oil.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              • Jan 2007

The oil settles in the bottom of the pan when cold and not running. No need to run really unless you want the oil to be easier to suck out when warm.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
              X