X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailorman1789
    • Feb 2008

Choke Cable End

Since I bought my Pearson 30, tho only real trouble I have had with the engine is that the choke cable case continually slips out of the cable casing holder/bracket at the carburetor end, thus allowing the case to be moved and not the solid push/pull shaft inside. It looks like the case may have been cut to length, with the solid push/pull core sticking out of a trimmed casing. The plastic case is what is installed in the holding bracket. This seems to me to be a jury rigged setup.
    My question is, should there be a metal cap or something over the casing end for the bracket to hold onto? It seems that this would provide something more substantial for the bracket to grasp and prevent the case from slipping out , especially since it always seems to know when its very important to get the engine started in a hurry!
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

The clamp on the choke bracket on the carburetor should be able to grip the outside of the cable. There is no cable end required on the choke cable.

Don

Comment

• jhwelch
      • Dec 2005

There shouldn't be much force on that cable end, I wonder if the wire
      inside your cable is binding up and causing a bit of trouble?

I added a longer bolt to my clamp as I have a much fatter cable than
      the standard clamp is designed to deal with.

Hmmm, if the end of your cable is slippery you could rough it up somehow
      to give the clamp a better surface to grab onto.

Comment

• sailorman1789
        • Feb 2008

Problem solved. I purchased a new choke cable from MM. The old cable was of similar construction, but was .052" thicker than the new cable. That was the difference. The previous owner must have run up to his local lawn mower shop and gotten one made for a Toro or Snapper. Just that small bit of diameter made a huge difference in the fit and security of the cable. The new one fits like a glove and won't even think about moving when I TRY and push it our of the end holder on the carb. Thanks Don!

Comment

Working...
        X