X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • What Anchor
    • Oct 2016

Serial number 74818

Well the A4 looks much smaller after I got it out of the glove compartment they call an engine compartment. I had to remove most of the ancillary stuff just to get the drive coupling off. When it was out I noticed the serial number on the name plate 74818. The number makes sense, since the boat is a 63 Columbia 29. She will have to sit until winter when I have the time for an all out overhaul. I am sure I will have many questions then.
    Carl
    Attached Files
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Oooo...great pics. Tombstone reversing gear plate too! Definitely old school!

There are quite a few early model experts here, but I am not one of them..but I've seen early models in pictures.

Looks like you might have electronic ignition with the two wires heading into the dizzy.

Over on the other side of the block there might be a casting date that is close to the build date of the boat..you see a digit or two hiding behind the flame arrestor maybe. My '77 boat has an April '76 motor. It would be a 6 digit number stamped underneath the carb somewhere, but not the embossed number which has something to do with the castings.

The motor looks to be in pretty good shape on the outside!!! Let's hope it is the same on the inside!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Carl,
      What a nice winter project! It will be interesting to hear what you find when you get into it.
      I recommend you start to shop for a machine shop to do the 'heavy lifting' for you - by this I mean the grinding and machining that will need doing. Go to the local auto garage that you trust and find out who does their cylinder head work. Then go talk to the owner about restoring an old flat head engine - probably love to get the work and do a great job for you. When you talk, be honest about your capabilities. You certainly want to do what you can (to keep costs down), but still get a good job done and a good final product.
      My last overhaul, the shop I picked to help was wonderful. Did the 'Kaminsky' mod on the transmission casing. Also had them do the valves and the valve seats - exhaust seats were pretty bad so the shop installed carbide inserts without asking me (no extra charge). Hopefully that shop will still be in business when I need the next engine done...

Comment

Working...
      X